13. better off

Trigger warning:
Contains mature themes, including violence and suicide, that may cause distress.

Readers discretion is advised.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

And if we're being honest
I'd rather your body than half of your heart
Or jealous-ridden comments
That come when you let in them feelings that I don't want
I never let 'em know too much
Hate gettin' too emotional

▪︎▪︎▪︎

The body becomes its own corset.
Past, present, and future exist as a single force.

A swing without gravity soars to a terrifying height. The outlines of people and things dissolve.

"What does it take to be a champion debater?"

Indigo squinted her eyes and smile before answering her question.

"I believe that it takes passion. Debating isn't just about logic, I also believe it's about having a cause that's it's worth talking about. That's why being a champion debater means there's a cause you really relate with. And that's where what debater brings with when they speak about things."

"Who would you consider as your biggest influences?" Bato kaagad ng interviewer sakanya.

"My coaches and Mr. Nicholas Zafeiriou's published books." Agad na sagot naman niya.

Lumaki naman ang mata ng interviewer sa sagot niya ng marinig ang pangalan ng idolong hinahangaan ng teenager na si Indigo.

"Wow, that famous author of the Rules of Radicals and The Innovator's Dilemma?"

"Yes, I'm a big fan of his works."

Nakita niya ang mahinang pagtango ng interviewer habang sinusulat ang mga sagot niya sa maliit na notebook.

"Then, what is the most pressing issue that you think needs to be addressed and how can you solve this issue?"

Indigo heaves a sigh.

"I think what's problematic today is lack of representation for OFW's outside the Philippines," panimula niya dito.

Napangiti ang interviewer habang pinagmamasdan ang teenager na si Indigo.

"Many overseas Filipino workers sacrifice parts of their lives just to help their families. They are not given enough justice and enough representation and not enough dignity in the way they talk about their experiences. Representing them by using their voice to show their plight, to show what it is they are experiencing. I think that fact that you're able to elevate their stories into a national platform is enough to show that they are dignified stories worth talking about."

Indigo explains while being immersed in her own thoughts.

The interviewer shook her head with a smile before throwing the last ball of question for today's interview.

"For you, empowerment is being able to?"

Indigo smiled while making eye contact with the interviewer before talking.