Chapter 27

I didn't try to apply to other hospitals or build my own clinic because I still want to have time for myself or for my future family. Being an OB-GYN Doctor in one place is already enough to practice my specialty and also enough for my living expenses. Maybe, in the future, I'll get my own but right now, I don't want to further be busy. 

I want to enjoy life, too.

I've been studying half of my life. Now that I'm getting paid for my work, it's making me want to relax more. I'm done thinking about the constant pressures made by people because of my surname and of course, my Dad. 

"Kapag may rounds tapos nadadaanan tayo ni Doc Jimenez, lumiliwanag ang buhay ko," I heard one of the nurses said. My brows furrowed.

Why are they gossiping about someone while working? It's about him pa talaga, ah! Of many chances that I could hear medical staff gossiping about someone, siya pa talaga. 

"Kaya nga! Hay! Wala pa bang asawa si Doc?"

"Wala pa ata pero ang alam ko, may girlfriend daw." 

I bit my lower lip as I heard that again. I should just buy coffee in the cafeteria instead of the vending machine. I don't want to hear about it anymore.

"Talaga?"

"Oo, doctor din ata." That's the last thing I heard as I walked to the elevator papuntang ground floor to buy a coffee.

She's also a doctor, huh? I suddenly got curious on what she specializes in but I tried so hard not to think about it too much. Why would I even hurt myself more?

I just wanted a peaceful morning, without thinking of him, but I was hearing his name everywhere kaya it's impossible not to think of him. Ugh!

Back then, he was already famous. A social butterfly. He has a lot of friends, he makes meeting new people seems easy, and he just befriend anyone he talks to. I guess, it didn't changed. The one thing that didn't change when I came back was this. He just know his way to people. 

Kaya kahit dito sa hospital, everyone knows him. Everyone seems to be captivated by him. Who wouldn't? He's smart, smiles a lot, he knows what he's doing, he's good at his work, he's respectful, and so many more. 

Pabalik na ako to my office after buying coffee when I saw Dad walking with the other doctors and with the board of directors. Our eyes met briefly but he didn't stop nor do anything to acknowledge my presence. He just continued walking as I still stared at him.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked away after a few seconds. We're not in talking terms and we didn't talk for the past six years. Since I left the country, he didn't even try to contact or visit me. It's like I wasn't even his daughter at all. 

Parang pina-alis niya lang ako sa country because he just wants me out of his sight. It's like he dumped me in a country with a reason that can still benefit him in the field. Is my achievements not enough for him? Nandito na ako. I already have a name for myself.