Chapter Seventeen

"Even death has a heart."

                                                                                   ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief 

It was dark in the bedroom and the two men on the bed lay entangled in the sheets and each other. The glow from the streetlamps outside cast interesting shadows over the long lines of both their exposed bodies. From the way they lay ensconced in each other, the two men looked like soft little creatures inside their own safe place.

That safe and peaceful site was interrupted by the vibration and tune of a cell phone on the side of the bed.

Jungkook fumbled for the little device sleepily while trying to figure out what time it was. Taehyung's clock on the side table showed 3 o'clock.

"Yeoboseyo," he greeted and sat up when he heard slightly panicked Yoongi's voice.

"Fucking hello to you, too," Yoongi's usually calm voice sounded gruff and nervous.

"What happened, hyung?" Jungkook immediately inquired, feeling a cold shiver running down his spine. Taehyung stirred beside him, his eyes still closed.

"Mina is having contraction. She tried to contact her gynaecologist or whatever but he told her to go to the hospital because he is at a freaking mountain retreat somewhere in fucking Gyeongnam. Mina refuses to go without a doctor though ..."

"What?!" Jungkook questioned and turned towards Tae. "Mina is having the baby ..."

Taehyung was wide awake suddenly and he took the phone from Jungkook and went immediately into doctor mode.

"How far is she?"

"Thank fuck, Taehyung-ssi! I need you here," Yoongi breathed, his voice sounding relieved. "She said she was having cramps since late yesterday afternoon."

"Did her water break?"

"WHAT?!"

Taehyung smiled at that and watched Jungkook searching for his clothes that lay ever which way in the bedroom as well as the hallway beyond.

"Before the birth proper the amniotic sac breaks, releasing the amniotic fluid ..."

"Don't talk to me about bodily fluids ..." Yoongi ground out and Tae laughed.

"It is only natural ..."

"So are semen and spit and I don't indulge in discussing these outside of my own relationship." Yoongi replied testily.

"Don't, hyung," Tae said in a teasing tone. "But seriously, if Mina-ssi's water breaks you need to get her to a hospital ASAP."

"She won't without her bloody doctor," Yoongi almost screamed and Tae could hear commotion in the background, like a knock at the door and hushed, harried voices.

"Tae ...the water ..."

"Get her to Yonsei Severance now, we'll meet you there," Taehyung decided and Yoongi's sigh of relief or panic, Tae was not sure, could be heard before the connection went dead.

"You can't come with me," Jungkook said. He was almost completely dressed.

"I can and I will," Tae said with determination as he slipped a jumper over his head and grabbed soft wool trousers from his wardrobe. Luckily they both had taken a shower and changed the sheets before going to bed. "You will need me if you want to fib your way into the hospital."