𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐭

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐓?" 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 a horrified look with her Dad

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐓?" 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃, 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 a horrified look with her Dad. "What the hell?"

Tony didn't bother telling her to watch her language. He stared at the girl with a look so intense Charlie couldn't decipher it.

"I'm not calling you that," Tony said quietly. "No way, okay?"

"What about the man with the metal arm?" Charlie pressed. "What's his name?" She growled in anger when the girl didn't respond, before signing the question again.

The girl responded with jerky movements, as if ASL wasn't her strong suit. Then again, how could it be? The girl only spoke Russian.

The Soldier.

"So you're the Asset," Tony said in disbelief, "and that man is the Soldier? What kind of-"

"Who is he to you?" Charlie interrupted him, feeling too tired to acknowledge the fact that the poor girl looked extremely overwhelmed, her breath quickening. "The man?"

"FREEZE!"

The cry echoed through the room and Charlie yelped, spinning around quickly to identify the unfamiliar voice. Tony's arms flailed out for a moment as he groped behind him wildly, trying to grab Charlie.

And the girl? The part of her face visible over her mask was snarling, her brown eyes narrowed fiercely.

And she had her knife out, glinting in the dim, yellowish light of the barn.

A quarter of an inch away from the throat of a wide-eyed, trembling, blond-haired little boy.

"Woah!" Tony yelped.

"What the heck!" The little boy shrieked. His long, shaggy blond hair curled over his ears and over his forehead, hanging over bright blue eyes. He can't have been any older than nine or ten- which was probably why the redhead hadn't hurt him yet.

The redhead.

"Put the knife down!" Charlie shouted. "Dad-"

The girl was in the little boy's face, growling lowly. "Кто ты?" She snarled, and the little boy shrank back, hands gripping what looked like... a potato gun? "почему ты здесь?"

"Okay, that's enough!" Tony shouted, darting forward. "Alright, Billy Butcher, look- he's a kid, okay? He's not a threat. He's- what's your name, kiddo?"

"Harley," The boy squeaked.

"Harley," Tony repeated quickly. "He- he has a name, see? He's not hurting any of us."

The girl just wasn't backing away. It didn't make sense- she wasn't attacking the boy, and it didn't look like she wanted to. It almost looked like she was trying to protect Tony and Charlie- but if Harley wasn't a threat, then what was the problem?