𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓: Человек на мосту

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌

It was a lesson she'd learned the hard way, time and time again, mostly when she was young. Fighting wouldn't get her anywhere; the Handlers had her outnumbered twenty to one. Fighting would get her a beating, or thrown into a cell far away from her родной брат.

She didn't fight them. She let them toss her onto the floor of the bank vault, let her head thump against the stone floor, the Chair looming over her.

The Asset had been дурацкий. She's gotten carried away by the kindness of the Handlers she'd been with for them last few days. The former non-targets (Anthony Edward Stark, Age 44, Alias IRONMAN : Charlotte Maria Jameson Stark-Rogers, Age 14, Alias N/A) had offered her food, and sleep, a medical operation.

Even though she had already been given sufficient vitamin supplements and liquified minerals through her feeding tube earlier that week, and she was trained not to sleep while on a mission.

They hadn't beat her even when she'd had a Malfunction and admitted she remembered who she was Before- in fact, they'd let her bathe.

The Asset had gotten carried away.

The Asset didn't deserve kindness; It wasn't human the way they were.

She was there to serve one purpose, and one purpose only.

The Asset was to be used as leverage, to motivate the Soldier into doing Hydra's bidding.

She was his weakness, both she and Hydra had realized, a lifetime ago. The Handlers would hurt her, and the Soldier would do what they said. Separate her from him, and he would obey. Have a gun to her head, and he would beg.

Sometimes, though, the Asset was confused.

Time in her head was... strange. Muddled, and erratic. She didn't know how long she'd been here, but she didn't quite believe the Handler when He said that she had been created to do this. If she went long enough without being Wiped, she would start to Malfunction.

When Malfunctions happened, she'd start to notice things- like how English came to her easier than Russian, or the strange images her brain would supply her: the Soldier, looking much younger and clean-shaven... a doll with red hair like hers...warmth, and music, and candles...

And names.

Those were the most dangerous things to remember. The rest of the Malfunctions, she could keep hidden- the Soldier had taught her that. She could swallow down her panic and pretend those images weren't plaguing her mind with forbidden questions and urges.

But the names- Rebecca. James. Steve. Stevie, Becca, Jamie, Bucky...

Letting those slip would get her a beating so intense that they would have to bring in Medical Handlers- beatings that even the serum couldn't fix.