𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍: 𝐎𝐥𝐝 𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫:
𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐮𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐉𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐟 𝐒𝐥𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐭

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐮𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐉𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐟 𝐒𝐥𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐭

𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐕𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐓.

"What?" He breathed, feeling the blood drain from his face.

Tony's hands found his, trying to keep him grounded, but it was no use. He felt panic creep down his throat, settling into his chest- and as he glanced at his daughter, the look on her face, he felt like he was in hell- because if this was what she was feeling all the time, he didn't know how she lived through it.

"You need to breathe, love," Tony said in his ear, kissing his temple gently. He ran soothing hand down his back.

Steve wanted to laugh, because breathing was the least of his worries right now-

When Becca Barnes sat here, in Sam Wilson's living room, right in front of him.

Steve remembered her. He had gone under the ice right after she had just turned six years old, but he had been there at every scraped knee, every birthday, every bump and bruise that the Barnes kids could never avoid. He remembered the way she would giggle as Steve danced with her and her sisters beside the fire, his Ma and hers smiling softly at their children.

He remembered tearfully holding her as she sobbed, hearing her mother and sisters' wails of despair after he came to deliver the news of Sargent James Barnes' death.

Now, Rebecca's damp, impossibly long hair was slightly less red than he remembered, darkened instead into the deep auburn he recalled Ma Barnes' used to be. Her face had slimmed out, and despite the fact she was unusually short, she looked older, maybe a little older than Charlie.

She looked like her older sisters- like her older brother...

Her nose, her even-set lips, the shape of her wide brown eyes... that was a combination of both of her parents. Steve Rogers knew those features like the back of his hand.

That face... that face was all Bucky.

"I don't understand." Steve rasped. He didn't- he knew he had recognized Becca before, but now that it was confirmed, he couldn't un-see it. "Becca... it's impossible. It's been seventy years..."

"You're still here," Charlie pointed out softly. "It clearly isn't impossible. I just... how was she with S.H.I.E.L.D all this time?"

Steve shook his head, feeling nauseas. "No, it's impossible. Becca died when she was eight. After Tony found me in the ice, I went and looked for the Barnes. The last one alive was Winnie- she's in a nursing home now, I think. But Becca... she went missing around Christmas time in 'forty-nine. They pulled her body out of the East River a couple weeks later, and she wasn't even recognizable. She drowned."