Chapter 61: The Great Games

The feast has already died down and we all retreated back to our rooms. Daenerys and I are still awake and sitting on the balcony overlooking the city. It is peaceful and quiet. We both enjoy the cool breeze of the night and Daenerys cuddles in my side while resting her head on my shoulder.

"How do you feel, dear?" Daenerys asks. "I have no idea how to describe it. Happy, overjoyed, spectacular? I think there is no word out there that could describe how I feel. What I do know is that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than at your side," I say with a smile. She giggles. "I am very lucky to have you for the rest of my life. We have faced a lot, but now we will face the future together," she says. I wrap my arm around her to give an affectionate squeeze. "I will always be with you till the day I die of old age. I will never leave you," I reassure her, and Daenerys hums as she strokes my left arm. "You know, we still have a duty to perform..." she says. "Oh?" I ask curiously. "Our marriage still needs to be 'consummated'," she says cheekily. I smile widely and pick her up bridal style. "We better perform our duty, my dear wife," I say smiling while walking to the bed. Daenerys wraps her arms around my neck and giggles.

A few weeks have passed since our marriage. I am now officially married and gained the title of Queen. It does not change much for me, but I had to step down from the Queensguard. It is not fit for a ruler or the spouse of the ruler to be in the Queensguard. Therefore, I stepped down and Ser Barristan takes over my role as Lord Commander. It gave me more free time, since I only advice during meetings. Even if it is not my "job" to protect her, I will still protect Daenerys with everything I have. This means the usual morning training with Daario, Ser Barristan, and Grey Worm is still a constant occurrence.

I have also started to study Westeros in more detail. If I am going to rule over it with Daenerys, I better learn as much as I can. Therefore, I spent a lot of time reading and talking to Tyrion about Westeros, the many houses that rule over the lands, and the current status of Westeros. It will help me with ruling over it, but it will also help me with concocting a plan of attack when we arrive.

Of course, I spend a lot of time with Daenerys. We are almost never far apart. When she does her Queenly business I usually keep her company. I have not as many duties as her, but I will still join her for as many as possible. At the end of a pretty relaxed day, we sit with Tyrion to enjoy supper together.

"Tomorrow is the start of The Great Games. How do you feel, Your Grace?" Tyrion asks Daenerys while drinking from his cup. "I can't wait for it to be over. I don't see any appeal in watching men kill each other," she sighs. "It is exciting I suppose," Tyrion says. "In my opinion, enough people already die in wars and other conflicts," I say. "Very true, speaking of conflict. The Harpies have stopped killing since you have reopened the fighting pits and ceded power to Hizdahr," Tyrion points out. "That is good," Daenerys says. "It suddenly stopped... how curious," I mutter.

Tyrion smiles a bit. "It seems you are very sharp, Your Grace," Tyrion says while taking another sip of his wine. I shrug. "Sudden changes do happen for a reason," I sighed. "You think Hizdahr is the Harpy?" She asks us. "I have kept an eye on him since the thought popped into my head but I could not find anything." I sighed. "Also, that man is a coward. I am not even sure he has the balls to do it," I say. Daenerys chuckles. "You are right. He is meeker than a newborn lamb," Daenerys says.

Tyrion fills his cup again. "How is the married life treating you two?" He asks. I look at Daenerys and smile. "Wonderful," I say and move closer to Daenerys to embrace her. She smiles and cuddles close. "What can I say? We are very happy," Daenerys says. He smiles. "Good, keep each other close. You will need it for the future," he says. "As if she will get the chance to get away from me," I say. Daenerys chuckles. "I won't stay away long at least," she says.