Captured (Wheesun) ✓

WHEEIN

*Click*

*Click*

*Click*

My camera shutter is the only sound that can be heard in Seoul's dark streets.

Even though it's past midnight, I'm still standing on the street under the street lights, as if I'm standing under a spotlight

I need more photos before going home. I thought to myself

Yes, I am working on a photography project. I work as a photographer for Moonshots, a company owned by my friend Moonbyul.

NYCTOPHILIA is the name of my subject.

Moonbyul unnie did not give me a specific topic. But I chose darkness.

It is the love of darkness.

Yes, there are people who adore the darkness.

I am one of them.

If you're wondering why, I don't know either.

As the night deepens, so does my heart. Looking through the photos I've been taking, giving me this familiar feelings.

Alone, sad, cold, and depressed

That's what my subject is portraying.

I walk to the nearest park to take my final shot. But as I approached my final destination, I noticed a woman sitting on a bench. There is no light in the park. But because the moon was shining brightly, I knew it was a girl.

If you're wondering if I'm afraid, I'll tell you that I was at first. But instead of being scared, I felt sad as soon as I got close to her. When I see this woman by herself, she appears worried, sad, or depressed.

I approached her and asked her what she was doing alone in the park. I just felt compelled to speak to her or console her, despite the fact that we are complete strangers to each other.

She smiled as she looked at me. I sat next to her.

"You know what? Darkness gives me a sad feeling, but I love it," she said, looking at the moon before averting her gaze from me, "because from the darkness, I can see how beautiful the Moon and stars are." I nodded and plastered a faint smile.

We were both looking at the Moon as she told us her stories. What a sad life she had. Which I can relate to in some ways. It's as if we're having the same experience.

I'm being duped by the people around me. Being literally alone.

And we're looking for something that will make us happy.

"Because of the darkness, we are unable to walk freely without tripping."

"We're like a restless blind adventurer, walking in the dark, not knowing where we'll stumble or fall."

"But it's up to you if you're just going to sit or lay there waiting for someone to help you get up....what if no one wanted to help you? Will you end your journey there?"

"Or maybe..... Maybe if you give yourself another chance, you get up and find some light to help you walk again. Probably, it would be easier, right?"

I spent the entire time just staring at her. I was paying attention to what she said.

To be honest, what she's saying is exactly how I felt at the time. And it's giving me strange feelings that, for the first time, there's someone who understands what I'm going through.

From the moment we start talking, I take the opportunity to ask her if she would mind if I used her as my subject in a photograph, which she gladly does.