#2 Shitty luck

OLD AND STRANGE — that's Vittoria and her trailer. Illegal — that's Vittoria's business. I can't imagine what string of events that need to happen in life for someone of her calibre to end up in a rickety trailer, making a living out of banned spells. But here she is — and so am I.

She looks blowzy in a printed dress with a messy abstract art, covered in bead accessories. After she lights the fire under the cauldron with a dirty candle stick — and windows open — I look around her place of residence. In ten seconds, I find five cursed artifacts, the possession of which will land you in prison.

I quit scanning, and turn my attention to the cauldron.

"Why now?" she says.

"I'm sorry?"

"You must be what? Seventeen? Eighteen? Probably arranged to ascend very soon. You waited this long. Just a little longer and you can see for yourself who your Alka is on the day of your ascension. It's just that you are the oldest client I've had for this spell," she says, adjusting the cushion under her bottoms.

My jaw drops. "Oldest? You're saying kids come to you with requests to find out who their Alkas are? How do they even know where to find you?"

She shrugs.

I remember Tressie's phase at thirteen when all she ever thought was about her Alka. She badly wanted to know who he was. Jo and I had to hold her back, literally, from many shady tents of conwomen who claimed they could use the Alka Revelum spell to find Tressie's Alka — for a hefty price, of course.

The problem in using an outlawed sorcerer is you don't know if he or she is legit.

But Vittoria is the real deal. A long time ago my grandmother found Vittoria through a mutual friend and asked her to put a protection spell on all of gramma's goats.

Them goats are still roaming around like they own the grasslands or something.

Vittoria takes out from her bag a vintage-looking handkerchief and unwraps it to reveal an Amore stone. Knowing we're near the end, I pray I see a different face on the water this time.

She drops the stone into the cauldron and gestures me to take a look.

I do.

Then I quickly get up, place the remaining cash on the table, say, "Thank you. That'll be all," and vamoose.

I'm screwed. 

"IT MUST BE a curse," I say.

"Is that even possible?" Jo asks from the tree branch she has perched herself on top of. She's looking at the setting sun.

I throw another flat stone over the river and see it skip till the other shore. "I don't know what's possible or not possible anymore."

"We need a plan," Jo says.

"I'll go through the books. See if this could be a curse. If it is, then we can safely ask the head sorceress for help, right?"

Jo doesn't answer.

I throw my last stone on the river. It skips twice and sinks. I turn to Jo. "You don't trust our head sorceress?"

"Confirm it's really a curse first. We can deal with the rest later." 

"RIVA!" PROFESSOR LESLIE says out loud.

I blink away the drowsiness and sit up straighter.

"Pay attention to the class."

After she turns back to the board, I sigh.

I don't know how long I can go like this — tired and sleep deprived from spending all my time and energy skimming through heaps of books on curses, yet nowhere close to identifying one that can explain my Alka situation.

After the class, I drag my feet towards the sick room. I'm in dire need of a nap. There's a band of pain around my forehead, a very tight band, and my eyes are parched like the Sahara desert. I need rest.

"Riva," I hear professor Cynthia call me from behind.

I grunt inwardly.

She boldly walks up to me like a model on a ramp walk, her high heals clicking and her petite body never rocking. "Riva, about the guest lecture," she begins, "I'm afraid you'll have to assist me. Michelle's due date has moved closer. She can't make it."

My sleep is gone.

"Riva, you okay?" Cynthia asks, looking worried. "You look pale."

"I-I'm sorry. I forgot about it. I'm okay."

Cynthia sighs. "You know, I really wish I didn't have to bother you with this. Even I myself don't want to do this — What use is teaching those mutts anything about us? But I'm afraid it's mandatory."

My stomach turns inside.

She says, "If Michelle hadn't gone on her maternity leave this soon, I wouldn't have to bother you with this at all."

"No, professor, it's not a problem. I'm looking forward to attend your lecture."

She laughs. "It's not something of interest for someone smart like you. But you'll get some outside experience. I know you're a good student, Riva, but sometimes it's important to step outside the walls of The Academy, too."

I nod.

Once she's out of sight, I lean on the wall, skid down to the floor and hit my forehead with my book.

How did I forgot about that?! My luck is getting shittier in an alarming rate.