#28 The envelope

Sitting on the front step of the cottage, I turn over the envelope in my hand again and again, with my mind wandering somewhere else. That's until a silver car arrives.

Even though I haven't met her before I recognize her from the photos Jay showed me of his mate Zara.

"Thought I'd better come say hi to our Luna since she doesn't seem to be moving an inch from here," Zara says, stepping out.

I smile. She looks taller in person. "Sorry about that."

"That's okay. I understand it's a tough transition," she says, sitting down on the step below mine. "Hey, I'm Zara."

"Riva. So you're here to convince me to see everyone in the pack?"

"No. That's on you. I just came to see you." She looks at the envelope in my hand. "Is that the summon?"

I give it to her. She reads it. I say, "It's in a week."

"I've to say, after getting briefed by the Alpha it seemed like we were going to a war, not this. The wizard king is either a big coward or very cunning."

"I'd say he's both in a way."

"So this is what has you cooped up in this house?"

I lift my brow at her. "So you are here to convince me to see everyone."

She shrugs. "Everyone's kinda hyped up about our brand new Luna. It would be nice if they could see your pretty face. Also, I need your approval for something."

"Approval?"

"Hey, you're the Luna, now. You've a job to do."

I groan, leaning back.

"It's not that bad. I'm cutting you some slack here."

"What do you want?"

She takes out a few sheets of paper from her jacket's inner pocket. "We're building a new wing in the clinic. Need to place an order for a few equipments. I gave a copy to Jay to get the Alpha's signature, but he lost it."

"Who? Hayden or Jay?" I say opening the papers to read.

"I'd say there's a 50-50 probability."

She's exactly like Jay described her.

"You want to see the new wing?"

"You don't give up do you?"

"It's still under construction. Only the workers are there."

I sign the papers and give it to her. "Tomorrow. Come pick me up."

"Yes, Luna," she says, faux saluting and getting up to leave.

I want to tell her she needs to stop calling me that and start calling me by my name, but I've a feeling she won't listen to me yet.

"Oh, and, about the hearing," Zara says after opening the car door, "I'm sure you'll be fine."

AFTER DINNER, I make coffee for me and Hayden. When I take a seat next to him on the couch while handing him his cup, Hayden nods at the now wrinkled envelope sitting on the coffee table. "You're still thinking about it."

"How can I not? This is the High Council we're talking about. I'm surprised you're not as worried as you should be."

"I would be worried if I cared what the High Council or anyone else thought about us. I don't. Hence no worry."

"But if they decide against me and we won't accept, it will put you and your pack at risk."

Hayden puts down the mug and moves closer to me. "Remember when I told you that a part of you will always worry about me?"

I open my mouth but he cuts me off. "This is one of those moments. You'll just have to trust that I got this."

I sigh and face forward. "You always make things sound so easy."

He puts his arm around me. "For as long you're next to me, everything is easy for me."

I smile. He pulls me close and kisses me. "Now let me enjoy my time with my Luna will you?" he says moving his kisses to my neck.