#15 A baby

A cracking sound falls on my ears. I wake up and look around. I hear it again, from the corner that's lighting my room — the fireplace.

I jump out of the bed and go kneel beside the basket. There are small cracks on the egg.

Oh no! I knew it was going to hatch soon, but I was hoping not till for another few days. I'm returning to my apartment day after tomorrow for the start of the semester. It'll be easy for me if the egg hatched after I'd returned.

Another crack and a piece of the shell falls. The tip of a pale snot peeks out. I quickly lift a sound barrier around my room, and start to remove the shell gently to reveal a small reptilian form with translucent skin and the most beautiful grey eyes I've ever seen on any species.

It looks at me curiously, then in the blink of an eye climbs up over to my chest. I quickly cradle it in my arms. I notice two thin flaps on either side of the baby — the wings.

It opens its mouth and starts emanating the most horrible sound I've ever heard — a combination of a frog's croak and a bird's squeal.

Wincing I say, "Okay, time to feed you."

Good thing I've already prepared its food and brought it with me, just in case. Using my wand, I conjure out a box of beetles from my backpack.

I hold one beetle between my thumb and index finger. The baby gobbles it up in a second. After sacrificing three beetles, I put away the food. "It's enough for now."

The baby's body coils in my arms, and it's face cuddles to my body. It must be thinking I'm its mother. I softly caress it with my fingers as a smile forms in my face.

It's gone to sleep — until my phone rings and it shrieks and bundles up fully in my arms. I sigh and grab my phone from my bed.

It's from Hayden.

"Hello?"

"I'm assuming it hatched," he says.

I bit my lower lip. He must've "sensed" my emotions again. I'm amazed he could do that even when we're far apart from each other.

"Just a minute ago."

"Boy or girl?"

I forgot to check that. I look at the end of the tail. There are three tiny spikes at the tip.

"Boy."

"Well, congratulations. You've officially become a dragon mom and will soon be imprisoned for the same."

The baby tilts its head left and right at my phone.

"I think he can hear you," I say before taking the phone closer to the baby. "Say something."

"Hi there," Hayden says.

The baby squeals. Hayden says, "I'm sorry to say but your son has a terrible voice."

I laugh. "He does, but he's the cutest thing ever."

"Let me see him," Hayden says and ends the call.

I look at the door, checking again at the barrier. Hayden's video call comes.

I show him the baby while Hayden's face is on the screen. As soon as I see Hayden, I feel lighter. I hate to admit this but I missed him.

The baby moves closer to the phone and its snot bumps onto the screen. It slithers back into my arms quickly.

"Already a mamma's boy, I see," Hayden says.

"Don't make fun of him. He's just a baby. Born minutes ago, literally."

"He looks healthy. How are you going to keep him there? Where are you by the way?"

"Wherever I am, you don't have to know. I'll return to my apartment day after tomorrow. Gotta keep this guy hidden till then. I can manage that."

"What's his name?"

"I haven't thought of that."

"How about Max?"

"He's not a dog."

"It's a good name. He'll like it. Hey, Max, look here," Hayden says, trying to get the baby's attention. It stays coiled in my arms.

"See. He doesn't like it."

"Tobby?"

"Bob?"

"Abraham?"

"Spookie?"

"Trick?"

At that, the baby's head raises, surprising me.

Hayden grins. "Attaboy, Trick. You chose a good name."

"His name is not Trick! What kind of name is that?"

"He likes it. Don't you Trick?"

The baby slowly slithers to the phone again. This time he doesn't touch it, and just squeals at the screen.

"I would love to come see you buddy but your mom won't tell me where you guys are. Don't worry, I'll see you day after tomorrow."

"You are not seeing him any time. And I'm not his mom. Don't you dare drop by my place," I say. "Playtime's over. I'm putting him to sleep. Don't call me unnecessarily too. Told you, just because you can sense me doesn't mean you've to contact me right away."

Before Hayden could reply I disconnect, and take Trick to his basket.

I clear up the shell pieces and lay him down on the cloth, lightly covering him up. Trick softly squeals, sounding for the first time like a baby, instead of a large bird in pain. "It's okay. Go to sleep. Mom is right here."