#12 We're sharing

Soon after nightfall, we reach Bolrent and stop by the first motel we come across. Hayden leaves to check the vacancy while I wait.

It's too dark outside for me to make anything of this town. But I've a feeling it's one of those countryside small towns where the population is slowly but steadily declining.

Hayden returns. "Let's go."

I grab the basket and my bag and follow him into the retro motel. He opens one of the rooms and lets me in. As soon as I see the bed I realize how tired I am.

It was exciting to travel with Hayden, listen to all those radio stations, and watch different towns, fields, and forests pass by. But I've never travelled this long in a car, and I'm feeling it. The bed is so welcoming.

"I'll take a shower first," Hayden says, walking past me while taking off his t-shirt.

"What? Take a shower in your room!"

Half naked, he smirks at me. "There was only one room available. We're sharing, mate."

"No, no, no. You're lying!" I shout while he had closed the bathroom door behind him.

I place the egg basket over one of the chairs. "I'll be right back," I say to it, and storm out to the reception.

A short, skinny, old man with two inch thick glasses is manning the reception desk.

"Excuse me, sir," I say, "My friend forgot to book another room for us. Can you please give me a room?"

"Miss, your friend didn't tell you we had only one vacancy? He took the last available room."

I glare at the man. "Did he put you up to this? There must be another room! How full can this small town motel get in a day?"

The man doesn't look like he shares my sentiments. "Young lady, that was the last room. If you want another one, feel free to look for another place."

Without dropping my glare, I back off and leave for the room.

Tired, I sit down on the bed and then notice the egg. I empty out one of the glass vases in the room and create a small fire in it and place it near the egg.

Soon, Hayden comes out, with no top on. He looks at the fire inside the vase and reaches for it.

"Careful, it's hot."

He touches the vase without getting burned, and smiles. Then he looks at the egg behind it and says, "She sure likes you a lot."

I shake my head and grab the towel he has over his shoulder. I need it to dry my hair. And head into the bathroom.

The warm water is relaxing, and heals my sore muscles. After washing up and drying my hair, I step back into the room. Hayden is on the bed, looking at his phone.

There's no couch.

I pick up my wand and bring out a mattress, pillow and bed cover from my backpack and lay them on the space near the bed's end.

"You could just sleep on the bed," Hayden says, "It's not like I bite or anything."

Since I'm turned away from him on the mattress, I let the smile come to my face.

"Goodnight," he says.

"Goodnight."

THE NEXT MORNING, I wake up to the sound of water splashing. When I look up from the mattress, I see the bathroom door is open. Hayden is leaned over the sink. His face is close to the mirror as he shaves on his foamed jaw and then rinses the razor in the sink.

My eyes move to his chest and abs. Last night I avoided looking at him properly after he showered. But now, I'm just in a mood to not care.

"You can touch it too," Hayden says without looking away from his reflection.

I laugh. "You wish. Why are you shaving? It's not like you're going on a date," I say.

"I like to be prepared. I don't want you to later complain on the bed my stubble is pricking you."

Feeling a blush coming on, I turn around on the mattress. "Jerk."

His beautiful laugh falls on my ears. I decide to sleep in for a bit and close back my eyes.

I wake up again at nine. The sun already feels high.