#29 Luna

In the morning, after Hayden leaves for work, I stare at the envelope again. 

My father has raised a complaint against me to the High Council — the highest authority, chaired by leaders from each race. 

He wants to imprison me over charges of treason, on the account that interracial mateship is prohibited by the Whitestone Empire. I'll have to defend myself in the hearing. 

Even though I did not commit any treason, since Hayden is my Alka, I can not completely trust the council politics.

The sound of a car honking brings me back from my thoughts. Zara is here to pick me up.

I drive with her to the new wing that's under construction. It looks mostly done.

"Those generators, oxygen and water tanks have to be put up on the roof today, and we'll be back on track with the schedule," Zara says.

"How long have you been doing this?" I ask.

"This?"

"This," I say, gesturing at the building. "You sound well informed about the work."

"My dad was the former Beta," she says.

I look at her surprised.

"Yup," she says, "I could've had Jay's job."

"Why you didn't?"

"Hayden, Jay, and Denis come as a package deal," she says, making me laugh. "They work well together. And there's no way I'll be able to keep Alpha in check the way Jay can. No offense."

"None taken. So you learned everything from your dad?"

"Even when I was a kid I liked hanging out with him whenever he worked on putting up a new structure in the pack. It was his favorite thing to do. You should see our town hall. It was his pet project. That building looks no less sublime than a Vatican church."

"In that case, can I ask you something? And now it's your turn to not take offense."

"Shoot."

"Why Thornton's School of Werewolves is still in that god awful place?"

She breaks into a laughter. "Oh, yeah. You've seen that place right? You met Hayden there."

I nod.

"That building is sort of a running joke in our pack. You see, we did build a new school at the time of our great great grandfathers. But it was completely ruined by the students in just weeks. The ugly and cold building the school is in now, it's the only one that is still able to take the abuse of hormonal teen wolves and stand the test of time."

So I was right at that time. The werewolf students weren't moved because they can't be trusted with a decent building.

"We are not a bunch of delinquents if that's what you're thinking. It's just... we get to be a bit more reckless and free in school. Especially kids from high ranking families. Because once school hours are over, it's back to training."

"That must be hard," I say, "to be given responsibilities while you're still so young. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was given the head sorcerer position of my coven now. Just the thought is scary."

"I know. But unlike in the world of sorcerers, and again, no offense, us werewolves are more of a team players. The trainings were hard, but we never went through them alone. We all did it together. Even now, I wanted you to come not to fulfill some obligation you might have as our Luna, but rather so I could show you that I'm here for you. Whatever you need," Zara says, and then she rolls her eyes. "Although I'm sure you'd prefer our Alpha's company."