#23 Jahov

Finally, Hayden has some time off. We leave for Jahov to look into Yates Boldman.

After filling up gas in one of our break stops, Hayden and I get lunch in the nearby diner. While our food is getting readied somewhere at the back, Hayden says, "I saw your college application. If I'm not wrong, isn't Leraster like located to the north of Paumonte?"

"That's the one."

"You always wanted to go to Leraster?" he asks. There's hesitation in his voice.

"No. It just has some courses I like."

After a few seconds of silence, where I can feel him turning something over in his head, Hayden says, "What about the Onyx Institute?"

My eyes go wide slightly. How does he even know about these colleges for sorcerers? "What about it?"

"Don't they have the courses you want?"

"I don't know, I didn't look into Onyx."

"Why not? From what I heard it's a good college."

I smile. "From what you heard? Why do you even know these colleges?"

"Because you want to go to one."

"I've decided on Leraster."

"Could never hurt to have options."

"Why Onyx?"

"Like I said, heard it's a good college."

My smile widens. "And it has got nothing to do with the fact that it's only 40 miles from your packland?"

He smirks. "It has got everything to do with it being only 40 miles from my packland."

"As much as tempting that is, I feel like Leraster is the best option for me."

He sighs. "Okay. You should go wherever you want to. But you can just go from our home right? You can use a portal like you do now."

My smile fades. "Hayden, you agreed. I can't stay after graduation."

"Why not? We're doing great now. Why can't we continue to live together?"

Just the fact he said "our home" is more than enough for me to drop everything and stay with him forever. He doesn't need to convince me with anything else.

But each day I stay at his packland is another day of facing the risk of being caught by my father.

I can't think of any place as my home while my father has plans to drag me to the Whitestone Province. It doesn't matter where I stay, for as long as I stay as far away from Whitestone as possible, that's enough for me.

"I can't explain," I say, "But it's the best thing to do."

He looks away.

I reach for his hand, and hold his fingers. "Don't get tired of me already."

He smirks and looks back at me. "Get tired of you? I wish I could."

I smile. "And why you can't?"

"Because I'm in love with you."

No longer smiling, I move back my hand but he grabs it. "There was a time I thought all I ever wanted is to become a great Alpha like my father. But after you... All I want in life is to come back home to you."

"Here are your orders," the waitress says and starts placing the plates.

"I have to use the restroom," I say and leave.