#25 Who is he?

HAYDEN'S POV

I hear a room door open and close. Riva has decided to sleep in another room.

Good.

Because I don't trust myself with her now.

I had to leave.

She lied.

Why did she lie?

I know how she feels about me.

Then why?

Is she...

I get up and go down to the dining area, and hear noises from the kitchen.

Ivana is in there cleaning up.

"Couldn't sleep?" she asks.

"Why did she lie?"

"That's something Riva should answer."

"But you know?"

Ivana doesn't reply.

"Is it... because I'm a werewolf, and she, you know, she..."

Ivana smirks. "She's far from being disgusted by your touch, Alpha. Trust me."

"Then why wouldn't she want it? Did I do something wrong?"

Ivana sighs. "Even though I promised her I won't say anything, I can tell you this — When un-ascended sorcerers have sex with their Alkas, their powers will ascend."

"You mean Riva will ascend if I mark her?"

"Yes."

I think about it. "And if she ascends people will know who her Alka is."

"Yes."

Why is she so scared of everyone finding out? Who terrifies her this much?

"Alpha," Ivana says, "How much do you know about your mate?"

I look at her. "She goes quite whenever I ask about her family."

"I know you want to give her some space and wait till she opens up. But I'm afraid, in case of Riva, it's best you find out for yourself."

Ivana knows who Riva is scared of.

"Who should I start with?" I ask.

"Her father."

The next day, Riva comes to our room and apologizes to me. While she's telling me how sorry she is and how she didn't mean to hurt me, my eyes struggle to stay away from her neck.

Every day since I first met her, I had been holding myself back. I didn't lie to Riva when I said I wouldn't be so well behaved if I could touch her without hurting her.

I wanted to find a way no matter what it takes. That's when I remembered the story of Ivana and Yates. If a vampire could hold her human mate, I knew there was a way I can hold Riva.

But I never thought Riva knew that already, and lied to me. I want to be angry at her, but...

Knowing Riva knows the answer — I need to get it from her. She won't tell me unless she feels safe enough to ascend. And she won't feel safe unless I get rid of whoever's scaring her — her father.

"I'm sure you'd a good reason," I tell her.

She looks surprised. I resist a smile.

She then rushes over and hugs me with tears, and keeps apologizing.

Sometimes I wonder what she would think of me if she knew what it takes for me to not have her. Even though I can never bring myself to hurt her, and promised the same, not a day went by without me longing for her body.

I've always loved her timidness, sweet voice, and kind heart. But sometimes I wish she would be selfish with me. I want to break down the wall she had put between us, reach over, and touch her. I want her to forget everything else in this world and feel only me.

I can't hold myself back longer.

I need to get to the bottom of this before I end up hurting Riva for real.

After we return to my packland, I leave for my office right away to see Jay. "I need you to find who Riva's father is."

I can see Jay contemplating it, but nods at the end.

At the end of the week, Jay and Denis see me in my office and gives me a file.

It's on Riva.

She was raised by a single mother in Thorika. Her mother owns a shop in the village.

"There's nothing on the father?"

Jay and Denis exchange glances. Jay says, "There's no record of her father. Nowhere."

"How is that possible? How can Riva be scared of this man if she didn't knew who he was?"

Jay says, "About that — Even though there's no record, there's an old rumor about her mother."

"What?"

"There was a married man who used to see her mother."

"You think he's Riva's father?"

"I'm afraid there's a high chance he is."

"What do you mean? Who is he?"

Jay and Denis look at each other again before Jay looks at me.

"Roman Casneigh."

I lean back on my seat. That day when I went to see her after feeling her fear, and her decision to go to Leraster, and even her pale brown eyes. They all fit.

I laugh.

Jay and Denis grin. Jay says, "Now you know why she didn't tell you. Your mate is the wizard king's daughter."

"That's true. I can imagine why she kept it a secret."

"What's next?" Jay asks.

"Find out who else is in Riva's life. She has been oversensitive about the dragon since that day when I sensed she was in pain. I think that's how Roman is hurting her, by threatening to hurt those she cares about."

"I understand. What do you plan to do once they are safe?"

I smile. "I think it's time we expand our territory. What do you think about the Whitestone Province?"