#22 Beta and Delta

Hayden is on the phone, talking to his Beta, Jay. Most of the things he says goes over my head. Surely, the world of werewolves is a mystery to me.

After the call, Hayden comes over and cages me between his chest and the kitchen counter. His hands are hold the edge of the slab.

I continue to stir the sauce.

Hayden nudges his nose against my neck. I laugh as it tickles. "Stop it. You're disturbing me."

"And you are disturbing me," he says as he takes his kisses to the back of my neck.

Slowly, his hands move over to mine. His fingers wrap around my wrists. I close my eyes and get lost feeling his body heat, until I start to feel my wrists ache. "Hayden, my hands."

He releases my wrists and goes back to holding the counter's edge.

But continues to kiss me.

I turn around and kiss him back. Unlike him, I can hold my Alka without any caution, so I wrap my arms around his neck.

When I hear the sound of the stone cracking, I pull away from him, sighing.

"It's okay," he says, coming forward.

"No," I tell him, pressing my fingers over his lips. I want the kitchen counter to stay intact.

He looks disappointed and backs off.

I try to salvage the burnt sauce.

While eating ice cream after dinner, I ask Hayden, "How do werewolves have sex without destroying everything if you guys are so strong?"

Without looking up from the documents he's reading, Hayden says, "There would be nothing to destroy when our hands are busy on our mates."

My lips go sideways. Why don't he just come out and say he wished I was a werewolf too? I take another scoop of my ice cream. "Besides wanting to have sex like wild animals, is there any civilized feelings between mates?"

"We can sense our mates' strong emotions."

"That, I already know. Anything else?"

"Mates smell nice."

"Anything else?"

"Females get into heat."

"Heat?"

"A monthly cycle where for a few days the females want nothing but to be pounded on by their mates, night and day."

I gape at him, terrified. "You're kidding."

He shakes his head, continuing to review the documents casually.

Will I get into heat, too? Or is it limited to only the female werewolf mates? I hope I'm safe.

"What else?" I ask.

"That's it."

"That's it?"

"Yeah," he says, still immersed on the papers in front of him.

"You know what it's like to be a sorcerer's Alka?"

"What?" he asks, hardly interested in the conversation anymore.

"I'll be able to control your mind."

Even though he doesn't look up, I can tell he went into shock. After a couple of seconds, his eyes slowly look my way.

I start laughing.

"Very funny," he says and goes back to his papers.

"It is. You should've seen your face."

After he's done, we go to bed. The column of pillows between us has miraculously protected me all these nights. He doesn't lie down and sits up against the headboard, typing in his phone.