Chapter 16: "Somnum Exterreri"

"..N-.. Ngh.." Sayaka whimpered in agony, as Oktavia dropped to the ground behind her, slowly melting down into a waterfall of dark blue liquid, which streamed across the observatory floor, washing over the girls before slowly evaporating away.

Mami panted, dropping to her knees. Her uniform fizzled away as she didn't have enough strength to keep it summoned anymore. She slowly lays down onto her back, her soul gem near capacity.

Tsuki kept her body laid over Ring's, a pink dome surrounding her as she looked toward her friends, tears streaming down her cheeks. "God, please no!" She cried out. "Get up! Get up, dammit! You have to!"

"Tsu.. Ki.." Sayaka weakly looked toward the two of them, before falling down onto her side, her uniform fizzling away.

Homulilly slowly began to rise upward again, her robe was falling apart, revealing multiple rows of broken gears that made up her body. Her wings were fractured, her hat was tore, she slowly stepped toward the girls as she raised her arms, guillotine blades rapidly swinging through the air, sweeping across the floor as they made their way toward the girls.

".. I'm sorry.." Mami whispered, tears pouring from her eyes.

".. D-.. Don't be.. We.. We tried.." Sayaka whispered, curling into a ball.

"No!" Tsuki shrieked. "Dammit.. No..!" Her voice echoed through the air, as the room began to darken, more and more, a familiar, yet.. Foreign presence beginning to shift.

Homulilly immediately stopped her blades, the room falling silent as she slowly looked around, turning all around, trying to find the source of the energy. As if the room couldn't fall anymore quiet, it did.. More and more, to the point where Tsuki could hear her blood coursing through her body, her breath, her heartbeat.. Everything. She covered her ears, whimpering with anxiety.

Sayaka stared up at the ceiling, as massive, shadowy arms began to extend downward, black and red energies rippling across the metallic roof like lightning, yet.. Making no sound at all.

A singular black orb extended downward, elegantly cruising through the air before coming to a gentle stop in front of the girls, before fading away, revealing a silver-haired girl, wearing a long, black dress. Her barefeet gently tapped against the floor as she stepped forward.

It was Gin.

"You'll never be good enough. You can't protect them!"

Homulilly's weakened voice boomed through the air.

".. You're right." Gin stated. ".. I can't protect them from you.." Her eyes darkened, as her soul gem appeared in front of her. It was still hollow as Gin slowly took it into her hands, a sickening grin appearing on her face as black ribbons slowly covered her eyes. ".. But she can!"

In an instant, the ceiling is ripped away by the shadowy hands, revealing an almost ethereal figure, black smoke and gasses composed her body as she stared down at the observatory floor, her direction locked on Homulilly.