Chapter 17: The Red Stone in Vermilion Abyss

"Tax were getting higher, which lead to villagers suffering without money. If they don't pay it, they will get punish and killed. If anyone say something bad or disobey Emperor Da Bing they will be killed immediately. Everyone in Xiao Hu must send their eldest son to serve as an army, if not, killed. Prostitute were now a legal business in Xiao Hu, anyone who disagree, punish. Anyone who protesting on the street, killed. A-" Wang Yibo were cutted off by Xiao Zhan who can't stand it anymore.

Xiao Zhan widened his eyes in fear, "Literally everything were wrong right there!" He said.

Wang Yibo nodded, agreed with him. They sat at one of the empty inn, and it's quite dusty to Wang Yibo's liking. Xiao Zhan gulped his wine, furiously. Brows furrowed at the thought. The scenery were a lot different from when Wang Yibo last got here. He still remember receiving the news about Xiao Zhan when he was here last time. He gently grabbed his cup of tea and bring it to his mouth, gulping the expired tea.

Since Emperor Da Bing ruled Xiao Hu, everything turned into an unending chaos. The street were no longer filled with traders, sellers, beggars, kids, all were empty. Just a few who tried their best to make a living. Wang Yibo put down the cup, disappointed.

"It has expired," he muttered.

Xiao Zhan put down the bottle of wine in shock, "Ah, Bo-di you shouldn't drink it then. You could have told me if it wasn't good anymore. Why torture yourself like this?" He scolded.

Wang Yibo look up at Xiao Zhan who furiously standing up. He put down few coins and pulled Wang Yibo with him. They went out of the inn and started to walking along the street. Wang Yibo can see Xiao Zhan's muttering alone, like he was talking to himself. Even when Wang Yibo trying to hear what he said all he could get was just a whispered breath.

They walked until the end of the town and now trees surrounded them. The sun shined down between the layers of green leaves, colouring the ground with different shade of brown. The birds chirpping, but couldn't be seen from where they are. Having a hand in hand moment with someone only knew for weeks was like having his childhood memories back. Wang Yibo smiles softly. Silently admitting the warmth feeling in his heart.

Xiao Zhan stopped as he saw an old temple, in the middle of the forest. He looked around to see if anything were around them but to no avail found nothing except bushes and trees. Both of them stepped closer, seeing some part of the temple were broken and falling down, its' walls were covered with vines and branches. Doors were hanging which probably fall soon if they touch it, the paints started to peeling from the walls. Xiao Zhan frowned.

"Weird, I don't remember seeing any temple around this forest before," Xiao Zhan mumbled, tilting his head to inspect it. He let go of Wang Yibo's hand and walking around the temple.

"The building were no longer strong, if it's rain heavily it might collapse," he said again.

Wang Yibo looked up to see any sign board, forehead creased.

'Vermilion Abyss'

"How are you sure it's a temple?" Wang Yibo asked.

Xiao Zhan stood next to him and shrugged.

"Looks like a temple to me," he said.

He glanced at Wang Yibo and pointed the building with his head, "Let's go in and take a look," he said, smirking.

Wang Yibo blinked, his face were emotionless but his heart was racing like crazy. He shouldn't have any thoughts but being alone with Xiao Zhan make him think of 100 ways of... ah nevermind.

Wang Yibo followed Xiao Zhan after. They entered the temple and look around. It's bigger than what it looked like from the outside. The inside were pretty much neat and clean and more structured than the outside. Xiao Zhan were surprised.