Currents - 1

“Good morning!” Ms. Blake greeted the class, not our English class. Our chemistry class.

She was filling in for Harris, he was still missing. They haven’t found him yet. She seemed extra perky today. I can tell why. She is - I shudder - sleeping with my cousin. That is the most disgusting thing ever.

“As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing--” She quickly corrected herself. After all the school kept telling us excuses why Harris wasn't here, of course no one believed them. “--I mean sick. Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place. Okay, so let's get started, shall we?” 

Stiles leaned in and whispered. Since when do we actually pay attention to class anyway. “Hey, my dad said that the ER attending wasn't strangled but did die from asphyxiation-- they just don't know how.” Last night a doctor was taken and found not long after. Apparently the Darach is after healers now. 

“Do you think the on-call doctor could still be alive?” I whispered back. “I don't know. But there's got to be at least twenty other doctors in that hospital at least, you know? Any one of them could be next.” Scotts phone rang and he hid behind the desk to answer. 

“Hey Doc. Sorry, I'm in class right now-- can I call you back later?” 

Unfortunately, no...I honestly thought I might never have to burden you like this, but I'm afraid, at the moment, you're my only hope.” I frowned and leaned in to listen. What was Deaton talking about? 

I'm going to be taken.” What? “I need you to find me.” 

“Doc. Doc, doc, doc-- what's happening?” Deaton cut the call and Scott began to panic. He grabbed his bag and rushed out. “Scott!” Ms. Blake called out after him. I grimace and turn to Stiles. “Call your dad, now.” I took my stuff and ran out after him. “Isabelle!” 

Scott had rushed out so fast that when I had gotten outside he had already driven off in his dirt bike. I managed to catch up in my car surprisingly. When we got to the animal clinic, Stilinski and his deputy had beaten us to it. How did he beat us to it? “How did you know?” Scott asked. He was defeated, if they were here looking at us with this sympathetic face means Deaton wasn’t here. 

“Stiles called me as soon as you two left the school.” Stilinski told us. “I'm sorry.” 

Scott sat down in one of the chairs, taking it all in. “Your boss' car is still here, and the back door was wide open." I sighed, raking my hair. He was taken. "Scott...I need you to tell me everything.” 

Stiles joined us soon after, and Scott had been questioned by Stilinski. We stayed by his side the entire time. I know first hand how overwhelming they can be. 

“All right, we're doing everything we can.” Stilinski assured Scott. “Right now, the best thing you can do is go back to school.” I nodded. “Yeah we will.” Ha, absolutely not. 

Scott motioned to the back room of the vet and we entered for privacy. Stilinski was not allowed to hear any of this. “We have to tell him.” Scott told Stiles. Stiles scoffed at the idea in disbelief. “You mean, like, tell him? Or, tell him something else that isn't telling him what I think you want to tell him?” 

I gave Stiles a look. “You know what he means.” Telling him the truth about all of this. 

“You remember how your mom reacted? She didn't look you in the eye for, like, a week!” 

“And she got over it!” Scott defended. “And- and it actually made us closer.” 

“I don't know, dude...I mean, look at him.” We peered out the window to see Stilinski rubbing his forehead. “Come on, he's completely overwhelmed as it is!” 

I sighed and turned to Stiles. "He's overwhelmed because he has no clue what's happening. He's got people dying in his town-- the town that he's supposed to protect-- and it's not his fault that he doesn't know what's happening.” It was the truth. Stilinski didn’t have a clue about any of this, he probably has tons of open cases caused by supernatural creatures ever since everything first began. “He's gonna find out sooner or later.” 

From someone or something else that will just be this huge blow of betrayal.

“Yeah, but is now really the right time?” Stiles questioned. He was nervous, it wasn’t an easy decision. If I were him I’d feel the exact same way. “What if not telling him now gets someone else killed?” Scott questioned. It was a very big possibility. If he doesn’t know about the supernatural then how is he supposed to defend himself the right way when the time comes. 

“What if telling him gets him killed, huh?” Stiles said exasperated. “I mean, okay. Look, I get that Deaton's been like a father to you-- I get that, okay?” He said, trying to make Scott understand. “But this is my--Scott, this is my actual father. I can't... I can't lose both of my parents, all right? Not both of them.” 

I sighed. I understand where he’s coming from. Keeping it from him could save him, but at the same time- “You’re right.” Stiles sighed. “No, I'm not. I'm not right.” 

He sighed deeply. “I'll tell him.” 

I nod. “I'll help you.” In order to make someone a believer you need to show them sometimes. 

We stepped out of the room, surprised to see Morrell talking with Stilinski. What the hell is she doing here?! “Please, whatever you need.” She told Stilinski. “However, you can help find my brother.” 

She looked to the side, as us and Stilinski spoke to her. “Will you excuse us for a moment?” 

Morrell nodded and when Stilinski and his deputy left her side, she walked to us. “Okay, listen closely you three--“ Wow she is very demanding. “No sheriff, deputy, or detective is going to be able to find him.” 

“You don't have to ask us for help.” Scott told her. “Actually, I'm trying to help you." She corrected Scott. 

“Because if you're going to find my brother, then you need to use the one person who might actually have an ability to seek out the supernatural.” 

I looked at the boys. There is only one person we know who does that.

“Lydia.”