Visionary - 1

I traced the Triskelion symbol on the glass window. It's been a two since Boyd was killed, since we last saw Derek. He had gone on a spiritual retreat I guess you could say. I wanted to be here when he came back, we all did. That's why I've been staying here at the loft with Cora and my parents. Plus, leaving Peter alone, not the brightest idea. 

Stiles popped by, asking if it was normal for Derek to be home this long. Which I guess it was, Cora began telling him about the time when Peter and Derek were chased by hunters, the Argents of course. How they killed a werewolf Derek's age, and how they hid. "They were there for two days," I told Stiles, looking out the window at the rain, the foggy window. "Waiting. Hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the Hunters find us--" I turned around. 
"Hide and heal." 

"Okay, so, is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" Stiles said impatiently. "Why do you care?" Cora snapped. She wasn't the best at this kind of stuff. 

"Why do I care???" Stiles said appalled. "Let's see. Because, over the last few weeks: my best friend tried to kill himself; his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed; a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed; Boyd was killed by Alphas...I- Do you want me to keep going?" He sassed. "Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour." 

I sighed. "You think Derek can do anything about that?" 

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." 

Cora shrugged. "I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him." 

I sighed and crossed my arms, walking over. "Because you haven't been here in over 6 years. After the fire, when we assumed you were dead like you assumed we were, we ran." I sat down with them on the couch. "The fire, Derek always blamed himself for it. I didn't know why, I never asked. He became more stubborn, a bit more rude." With the whole world except us. Most of the time.  

"What was he like?" Stiles asked. "Before?"

"A lot like Scott, actually." Peter said coming down from the stairs from the second floor with my mom. They were looking for him. "A lot like most teenagers-- unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers..." 

"And so what happened? What changed him?" 

I looked at Stiles. "A girl." Derek told me the story. It's how I know about Paige. 
Stiles scoffed. "You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?" 

My mom shook her head. She and Peter sat down on the couch. She looked at Stiles and Cora since they didn't know it. "Do you remember Derek, before he was an Alpha, had blue eyes?" Stiles nodded. "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?" 

Stiles shrugged. "I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing." 

Mom shook her head. "If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes." 

Mom began to tell us the story of Derek's high school years, when he met the girl. Paige. When Derek told me the story I almost found it hard to believe that he and a girl were ever that serious. The only thing that convinced me was the way his eyes softened. He had loved her. 

"Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he?" Stiles asked. None of us really answered. Talking about age to humans was a very hard thing to do. They didn't and wouldn't really understand. Stiles frowned at Peter and my mom. "How old were you?" He asked. "How old are you now?" 

Peter smirked. "Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think." 

Stiles scoffed. "Okay, that was frustratingly vague." He turned to Cora and I. "How old are you?" 

"We're seventeen." I told him. "See!" Stiles exclaimed, pointing at us while he looked at Peter and my mom. "That's an answer. That's how we answer people!" 

"Well, 'seventeen' is how you'd measure in years." Cora added. Stiles' jaw dropped. "All right, I'm just gonna drop it."