Chapter Forty Two: Ea🍺

Viviendel awakes with a shudder and a gasp, I remove my hand from her shoulder.

"The Queen requests your presence." I say, tight-lipped. She looks up at me, her lips slightly parted and her teeth ground together, one canine slipping onto her lip. As if she was about to throw some violent stream of thoughts into my face.

But she doesn't, and I deflate with relief. Instead, she stretches languidly, sighing. My face heats.

"Yesterday was..."

"Great, um, okay, let's go." I say quickly, my face heating more.

"No, not great." She yawns, and I stop. Gaping. "It was... boring." She shrugs and swings out of my bed.

"Boring?" I struggle to ask.

Viviendel smiles. "Yeah, there was this guy, I believe he was a Bwardipuginin, I don't know, it may be that Bwardipuginins are just better, but man..." She whistles. "He was great. If you grabbed a dictionary, you could find his name as the definition of great." My jaw drops farther than should be possible.

"What was his name?" I manage to question.

She looks over her shoulder at me as she catches sight of the food on the table. "Thanks," She yawns again and grabs the spoon. Pulling apart her bread. I wrinkle my nose and turn away. Disgusting.

"So..." I rock back on my heels. Still refusing to look back at her. "What was his name?"

"Was?" She inquires.

"Yes. What was his name?"

"He isnt dead."

I scoff and say, under my breath so she cannot make it out, "He may as well be."

"His name is..."

"Was..."

"Is," Viviendel corrects. "I don't know." She shrugs.

I turn around this time. Fury lacing through my features. So much for that plan. "What do you mean his name was 'I don't know'?"

"We met at a tavern." She flicks her hand.

"A tavern?" My brows raise.

"Yes," She pauses, looking me up and down with a flick of her eyes. "Some of the hottest Fae are found there."

-*-

I am at a tavern.

It is smelly, and the only 'hot' male here is me. Me. Everybody else is either an elder or has really ugly faces. And all of them are flirting with the staff serving the drinks.

I wonder if they know that she only favors me.

One of the men call her over and she holds her hand up, her smoky eyes drifting toward me. I lift my beer up in the air, a welcome for a partner.
"Once in a good while we find a brooder, but very rarely do they look as spectacular as you." She leans against the counter adjacent to me. I nod.

"I guess not a lot of people can charm the waitress over to their side of the tavern with their own charm," I nod to the Faerie who is moping on his side of the pub.

"No, I guess nobody is as charming as you."

"Well, I sincerely apologize for hurting your fragile heart-" Her smile is razorsharp.

"Or as cocky, it seems."

I continue as if I never heard her. "But I have a girlfriend." She narrows her eyes and stalks off to the moping male. The waitress slings her legs over the table, straddling it almost. And smiles down at him. She winks over her shoulder at me and I take one last swig from my beer before walking off. Making sure she can see the pip in my step.

The rain is a relentless patter against my scalp as I make my way back to the palace. About two miles from the tavern I came to.

Viviendel must be on something, and whatever it is, I want some. Because if you can find men like that attractive, then maybe I could find women like her unattractive. She is a HEIR, I am a GUARD. We can't have anything serious between us.