The Summer Of 1943

When I met him in his dorm he was sitting on his bed.

I still didn't trust him to not hurt me, so I sat down on Evan's bed and faced him.

"What was it you wanted Tom?"

"I need your assistance this summer. You're to tell your mother that you're spending the summer at my house."

I looked at him confused "Tom, you live in an orphanage.... She's going to ask questions."

"Not if you keep your damned mouth shut and don't tell her that little detail!"

"And if Evan tells her?"

"It won't matter, you're sending her a letter before the weekend, classes end Friday and we're leaving Saturday."

"Alright, but what do you need my help with?"

He walked over to his desk and pulled out the same leather bound book he'd had the night Myrtle Warren died and handed it to me.

I opened it and quickly flipped through the pages, it was completely empty, there wasn't even a single word written in it.

"What am I supposed to do with an empty journal?"

"Nothing, it's not yours. You're going to be helping me find meaningful objects like this one this summer, you're also going to bring me to meet my family members."

"Why would I want to do that? I just watched you KILL SOMEONE 2 weeks ago!"

"SHUT IT! It's not up for debate! This is an order, not a request!"

"What's in it for me?"

"You avoid being hexed or hit, that's what's in it for you"
*******

For the entire month of July he wouldn't tell me what we were looking for, only that it was priceless.

In mid August he told me it was time to go to Little Hangleton. Our first stop? The Gaunt Family shack in the woods just outside town.

 Our first stop? The Gaunt Family shack in the woods just outside town

"This is it?" Tom looked disgusted

"Yes, this is the the Gaunt family house. The couple I talked to this past Christmas said they keep to themselves. It's apparently just the Father and the son now, the mother died a few years ago and you already know what happened to their daughter."

"I do, but I need names...."

"The father's name is Marvolo and the son's name is Morfin"

"You're to stay QUITE! Don't say ANYTHING unless spoken to!"

"Ok...."

When he knocked on the door, it took a minute for someone to answer the door but eventually a man opened the door. He looked to be in his 40s, I knew exactly who it was when I saw him.

Morfin Gaunt had dark almost jet black hair that was thick and matted, his eyes were dark brown and were looking in two different directions, and he was missing most of his teeth. It was evident to me that, going by his physical appearance alone, he was a product of incest.