18

The morning arrives and I'm waken up by the sun peaking through the blinds. I open my eyes and look around in the room. All the beds have people still sleeping in them, except for one. Grace.

Where is Grace? Maybe sh-

"Dawn Duley!" All of a sudden the door is pushed open, making everyone in the room wake up and sit up in their beds.

I push myself on my elbows and look at the head teacher looking back at me with a rather pissed-off look. Grace is standing right beside her, smirking at me.

I send her a little frown. What did I ever do to Grace? Did she give me out?

"Come with me, right now." She commands putting out her hand.

I point at myself and when she gives me a nod, I push myself up from bed. I keep my eyes on the ground, as I follow her out of the room. Well, I'm done now.

"Come on," she agitates me to walk faster, as we are heading towards her office.

I'm once again sat down on the uncomfortable chair right in front of her desk, a tall brunette woman standing right over the table from me.

Her lips form a thin line, as she keeps her eyes on me without a word. I give her a little awkward smile, hoping that maybe that would cover it, but sadly it's not nearly enough.

"Do you know why you're here, Dawn?" She starts with a rather silent tone.

Of course, I know why I'm here but is telling the truth my best option right now? What if I'm here for another reason and I just expose myself?

"No ma'am," I say.

She exclaims sharply and takes a seat on her chair with a pretty high backrest, placing both of her hands flat on the table on each side of some book that is opened.

"Complete lies. Complete lies, Dawn," she says straightening her back.

"You know exactly why you're here. Second time this week already," she continues.

I still try to keep a somewhat innocent face, but I know I'm busted. Grace must've told her that I got back late.

"Do you think that this kind of behavior should be tolerated, Dawn?" She asks.

"Wel-"

"Because as long as I've worked here, I have never accepted such disorderly conduct!" She raises her voice a little.

"I have worked with plenty of children, Dawn, and this kind of thing has to be nipped in the bud!" She hits the table, making me jump.

Even if I really want to, I can't get a word in. She's just going on and on.

"Now, do you have anything to say to explain yourself?" Her slightly wrinkled eyes narrow and turn even colder.

This is my chance to finally say something, but what? What could I possibly have been doing that I didn't make it back for the night?

'Oh, I just robbed a store and slept in a stranger's bed, sorry I couldn't make it back. Everyone was drunk so they couldn't drive me' that would have been the truth.

But who would tell that to their teacher? Who would tell that to anyone? Who would even do such a thing?

"I don't," I say pretty quietly, looking down at the book that is opened on the desk.

I can't read it upside down, but it's old. The edges of the pages are curled up a little and some are even torn from places.

"That's what I thought! Detention for the next week. The whole week," she says.