Rinnegan

"Tomato!" Kiba Inuzuka jeered on Friday afternoon. It was time for us to be assigned to teams and start working for our community. Nagato stood uncomfortably behind me, his head down. I frowned at my friend.

Kiba stepped back, returning to his team with Hinata and Shino. I was assigned to Kakashi Hatake with Nagato and Sasuke. Sakura was with Ino and Shikamaru. Sakura expressed her jealously very clearly when my name was called for team Kakashi. Ever since the outburst on Wednesday, they both have been distant of me, and I found myself walking home alone one afternoon. They apologized and excused themselves that a wild dog had chased them off.

I had smiled weakly and forgiven them for lying to me and leaving me. I now found myself standing in front of Nagato often during break outside. The other kids called him Tomato, after his red hair. It was an interesting nickname, but not one he appreciated.

"Alright team, meet me at this address in fifteen minutes, and no later," our sensei told the three of us once the other teams had dispersed. He shoved a paper in my hands, flitting away as soon as I had grasped it.

Or thought I did.

The paper flew from my hands as the wind picked up. I lunged to grab it, as did Sasuke and Nagato. "Great job, Konan," Sasuke growled sarcastically. I seen him pull out a kunai and stopped him quickly.

"The paper will rip, it's extremely fragile so pinning it won't do," I told him, watching as it danced teasingly above us in the wind.

He gave me a funny look, "what are you, a paper expert?"

As we bickered, I hadn't noticed Nagato pushing the hair back from his eyes and mumbled something. The wind halted, the paper seemed to be on pause in the air. Sasuke and I looked up, then gasped. "Nagato, are you-"

"Get it, Konan, I don't have much time," he said, his voice sounding tensed, no doubt this took an incredibly large amount of chakra and concentration.

I nodded, putting my hands together, quickly doing hand signs and feeling my body feel lighter, as if it was paper. I heard Sasuke start to say something, but stopped when I held up a finger for him to silence. I opened my eyes and saw my arm.

It was a stack of paper! It held the shape of my arm and the color of my sleeve, but I could clearly see where one page turned into another. I tried extending it, surprised that I could reach an incredible length past my usual one. I focused my chakra and stretched my arm out, plucking the paper from the air just as Nagato's jutsu was released.

"Incredible, what was that?" Sasuke turned his eyes to Nagato, which had taken on the mentioned Sharigan that the Uchihas were known for.

Nagato shook his head, his hair back to covering his eyes as he looked down. Sasuke shrugged and gestured to the paper in my hand. I released my jutsu and lifted the paper to my eyes to read it.

It was blank.

"Is this a joke?!" I accused.

"No," we all jumped at the sound of a new voice as Kakashi stepped out of the shadows of the Academy.

"Kakashi-sensei, why did you trick us?" Sasuke and I said at the same time.

Kakashi started to speak, but was interrupted by Nagato. "It was a test."

Kakashi nodded, looking directly at Nagato, "I never thought I'd be able to witness the Rinnegan in action, I must be lucky."

"Rinnegan?" I asked, trying out the word on my tongue.

"A powerful dojutsu that is believed to be sent from the Gods," Kakashi told us in a lecture-like voice; stern, yet soft, as if he expected us to file this trivia into our brains for future reference. Nagato remained quiet, looking down and studying a leaf at his feet. "Nagato, you are blessed with these eyes, maybe one day you can lead us into peace."