The Legend of Tomato, the Would-Be Hero

"Kona-chan," a strange voice cooed, "it's time to get up." I obeyed. The voice seemed like one that did not appreciate being disobeyed, I wasn't sure how I knew but I did. I opened my eyes slowly, dim lights not even bothering me. What did bother me was my surroundings.

This wasn't my room.

Where was I?

I took in the plain white sheets, cream colored walls with brown trim and two big, wooden doors at the other end. To my left were machines I had not recognized and a chair that was occupied.

Nagato had his head leaned back all the way, his eyes closed and his breathing steady in sleep. He had dark circles under his eyes and his wrinkled clothes. He looked literally a mess. I sat up, a tube in my arm giving me problems. I huffed in disappointment, giving in and lying back down.

I heard a door open and a petite brunette strolled in. She caught my gaze and smiled brightly, "Well, good morning!" She quickly walked to my bedside and wrote down a few numbers on the paper she carried, pushed a few buttons, and my bed started moving. I frowned, the tube pulling hard as I yelped in pain. She quickly pulled the strange thing forward, the tube slacked.

I turned to make sure Nagato wasn't disturbed in his sleep. I finally got to see his eyes full on without his hair covering them. The part of eyes that are usually white were purple on him, and actually it looked like it was entirely purple. But there were black rings in them.

"Tell him to go home and get some sleep already!" The petite woman said, sounding exhausted already.

"You haven't slept?" I asked him incredulously. Nagato shook his head sheepishly.

"Course not!" the woman went on, "he's here all night and day as it is!"

I turned back to Nagato, "why?" He shrugged and stood.

"I'll be right back," he said simply and walked out. I raised a brow and looked at the nurse. She shrugged.

"He hasn't got a home, you know," she said, primping up my bed and checking more machines.

"Why not?"

"He was transferred here, but no one really knows where he is from. Or where he sleeps for that matter. He has no family either, like you," she ranted.

I didn't appreciate the 'like you' comment but ignored it. I now felt a connection to Nagato Uzumaki. "How long was I out?"

"Two days."

Two? Jeez! "What was wrong?"

"The shuriken was coated with poison and it took a bit to stabilize you, that and Kyuubi would burn off your morphine every 10 minutes and not to mention that woman..."

"Woman?"

"Ameonna," she stressed. I vaguely remember releasing her to counter the mist.

There was another issue that was bothering me. "And the man?"

"The three are in custody of the ANBU, but they're all dead."

"No," I told her, "I meant the masked one."

She gave me a look that would suggest that I was crazy. "There was no other man."

"But..." I fumbled, "there was someone there, I stabbed his eye.."

She patted my shoulder gently, reassuringly. "Sweetie you lost a lot of blood. It's common to see things. Especially in the state you were at when he brought you in. Nagato saved you." I gave up and accepted this, not wanting to sound any more crazy. Maybe he was just my imagination...