day five

elain

day five

"The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun."

― Benedict Cumberbatch

Richter: Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons - Spring 1

It was working.

Two days left to spare and it was working .

Lucien was starting to change his mind. He was falling for her.

But most exciting of all... she was starting to fall with him. Fall fast and hard. Maybe she wasn't in love with him after just four days, but with the proper amount of time to court she could see their relationship growing into something very beautiful.

He was... he was everything she'd ever wanted.

A gentleman.

Quick on his feet.

A good listener.

And gods, so handsome.

With each passing day they spent together, there was something new to fall in love with. Another quality or characteristic to add to the ever growing list of things that would soon carve their names on her heart. Her tender, fragile, breakable heart.

The one he held in those long fingered hands like a delicate flower. The one that was at risk.

It would be more than fair for him to turn her down in two days. To proceed with the plans he'd made to break their bond. She had rejected him, dismissed him, for so very long. Elain had earned whatever heartbreak may come, but she prayed to the gods it did not. She prayed that this whole bargain would prove to Lucien that what they had -- what they could have -- was worth fighting for.

But these fearful thoughts could wait, she thought to herself. For now, she would enjoy herself.

She would enjoy these days when butterflies swarmed in her stomach and when her heart hammered against her ribs.

And both sensations now flowed through her like the water down the Sidra, for she had spotted him standing just outside the dance hall, arms crossed beneath his cloak. The nearer she drew to the building the louder the music behind it's closed doors grew, competing vigorously with the beating in her chest that seemed to pound in her ears.

"It's been a long time since I've been to a dance hall..." he said as she came to stand before him. His tone was wistful. "We didn't have one in the Spring Court."

"Was the High Lord not fond of dancing?"

Lucien shook his head. "No. The weather was always amiable so most dances were held outside."

"And what about the Autumn Court?"

Lucien flinched, but it was so brief that if Elain had blinked she would have missed it. His eyes were downcast now, shoulders in that tense line she had become familiar with. That Elain recognized now as him bracing himself.

It was another moment before he spoke. "Yes, we had a dance hall. Though it was only open for special occasions. Holidays. Celebrations." Finally, he looked at her. "But I understand this hall is open year round."

Elain nodded, pretending that she hadn't glimpsed that haunted look in his eyes. "Yes. Rhys is a steadfast patron of the arts. Keeping the dance hall open year round employs musicians, artists and even dressmakers consistently."