Epilogue

lucien

epilogue

year 30

"For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home."

― Stephanie Perkins

Dream a Little Dream of Me - Doris Day

"Sorrel, don't run!" Lucien shouted.

  But it was too late. His five year old son was bolting across the foyer in the House of Wind towards...

  "Auntie Nesta!" the small boy shrieked.

  Lucien sighed in defeat as his son hopped into his aunt's open arms. It didn't escape his notice that the ever-worshipped "Auntie Nesta" had pulled a sweet from her pocket and slipped it into Sorrell's waiting palm.

  "Oh, he'll be up all night regardless of sugar intake, Lucien. You know it," Elain scoffed, joining him. "Besides, you should be thanking Nesta. She may be saving you a trip to the kitchens tonight. Don't think I'm not aware of your late night pastry expeditions with Sorrell..."

  Lucien snaked an arm around her waist, drawing her to him. "Maybe if momma didn't make such delicious baked goods we would have no reason to go on late night pastry expeditions." He buried a kiss in her neck, eliciting a shrieking giggle of protest as she shoved him away.

  Lucien had never had anything against children, but unlike Cassian or Rhys he'd never imagined himself having them. He'd fallen much into the same ring as Azriel. Assuming that one day he may have a child, and then being grateful beyond belief when such a gift came into fruition.

  He still remembered the day that Elain broke the news to him. He'd been happy of course, and when they'd made the trek from the Day Court to Velaris he'd shared in Elain's eagerness to divulge the news to her family. And while they had all congratulated the couple enthusiastically, and there were warm welcomes all around, Lucien had gravitated to the shadowsinger who after one glance at the father-to-be had suggested a glass of whiskey was in order.

  Strolling the river house grounds Azriel, having one daughter already, had listened to Lucien's concerns. Had assuaged his worries.

  "Read all the books. Every last one," Azriel had advised. "Because any pain or unusual occurrence will send you into a state of panic if you can't identify the problem."

  And when they'd left to return to his father's home in the Day Court, Lucien had arrived with an armful of books from Gwyn.

  In the foyer they were greeted by Nesta and Cassian and then eventually their twin daughters, both Carynthian Valkyries. The two warriors had departed fairly quickly, spurred by their parents' brief display of physical affection in the form of a kiss. Both of them sneering and muttering playfully about their mother and father "being insufferable" and "setting a bad example."

  "Adrian!" Sorrell shouted, nearly diving out of Nesta's arms and to the russet haired teenager that arrived on the scene.

  The shadowsinger's son, absent of wings and shadows unlike his older sister, bent at the waist to meet Sorrell's eyeline. "You've grown a whole inch since last Solstice, huh?"

  Sorrell stood a little taller, jutting out his chin and nodding proudly.

  "Andromeda's been waiting all night to see you, you know?" Adrian said, referencing the High Lord and Lady's youngest daughter. "Want to go say hi?"