thirty seven

"Why can't I just love you instead?!" Nandini hiccuped while staring at Aryaman with her tear stricken eyes leaving him shocked.

Even shock was an understatement as he felt overwhelmed so much that his hands came to an abrupt halt no longer rubbing soothing circles on her back to comfort her. It was sad how he wished the same for her to like him no scratch it love him. But he knew it wasn't going to happen at least not anytime sooner. To Nandini he was a best friend, a safe place to hide from all the shit life decided to throw at her.

"I guess it's enough the - talk for today. Now I am gonna go and get some sleep." Nandini stretched her arms yawning and got up to go inside her room. Well Soha's room that they were sharing for the time being.

"Good night..." Aryanman retorted while his heart still heavy from her previous words while Nandini went back. Though he understood where she was coming from. He understood it all but that didn't mean it hurt him any less. Knowing it and feeling were too different things. Though his mind got the gist of Nandini wanting nothing more but friendship while cursing her heavens for falling for the guy whom she shouldn't have for and wanting to fall for Aryanman but he knew it was something she wanted but she couldn't do.

Why fall for someone who is going to end up hurting you?

Why hung up over someone who already broke you once?

'Why not just choose me instead?', Aryanman thought.

He was getting anxious by every passing minute. He was so shocked to know that it was Manik who did that too Nandini. Aryanman had no idea that Manik and Nandini had a history before started working as his secretary. He was seeing all red in front of his eyes. Before he could think what he was doing, he stood up and marched to find Manik.

He found at the stairs. When Aryaman noticed that it was the gift that he had found Nandini sneakily keep at the back seat of car but he had pretended not to see it. He snatched the gift from Manik before his own mind realise. He felt like it was so wrong, that Manik didn't deserve the gift, he didn't deserve Nandini. But still her heart carved for that asshole what just frustrated Aryaman way too much. He was hurt after all though he always tried to be understanding but it was devastating.

Manik was startled when Aryaman continued to punch him with his eyes red in rage and anything but curses coming out of his mouth. Manik couldn't get it as to what he had done now to piss off Aryaman too. Like hurting Nandini wasn't enough that Aryaman seemed to be mad at him too.

" What the hell?!" Manik yelled while trying to get ahold of Aryaman before he could turn his whole face black and blue.

" You fucking moron. You don't deserve her. You don't deserve Nandini." Aryaman didn't stop and continued to swear at the said guy throwing punches at him merciless when his eyes landed on the same box that had fallen down on the ground when Aryaman decided to attack Manik all of a sudden.

" I am taking this. This... You don't have any right to have this." Aryaman uttered those words with such venom before taking that box away. Manik stared at him with his half lidded swollen eyes until his figure completely disappeared in darkness as Manik passed out while wincing at aching body. He was drained. The exhaustion and pain was too much to bear while his tears didn't stop even in his unconscious state. No one can differentiate if those were tears of physical pain or emotional pain he was going through at the moment.

** manik's pov **

I didn't even try to get up feeling totally drained like had no energy to even raise a finger as he opened his eyes slowly while wincing all the way along. Aryanman was no more there. He must have gone back. I wondered what got Aryanman that worked up but then his words rang in my head - 'You don't deserve her.' and it didn't took a genius to realise that Aryanman now knew about what had happened between me and Nandini.