Chapter Ten: The Elf Does Not Want to Go in the Box

Mossglow began as I smiled at my work, triumphant. Sleek, clean edges defined the table. When I opened the lid, light poured from all sides. I had taken every light I'd ever known and placed them into this box: the bright dawn of Mossglow, my mother Freya's shining realm, the stories of a burning Midguard sun. Now, I only hoped it would work. 

I kept my protective gear as I headed towards the bathroom. My dad had worked with light before so, thankfully, I was able to find his cloth face and body covering. It was black, and went past my shoulders, but I could see out of it. I kept on my long sleeve and pants, and only had a slip-up with the gloves once. It's okay -- I ran my hand under the sink, and the water turned my hand from stone to dwarf in no time. 

Outside of the bathroom door, I stopped. To no one in particular I whispered: "Please, don't let the elf be dead." I opened the door. 

Good news! The elf was not dead. 

Bad news, he almost was. 

Sickly green skin stretched across his body. I could see dark green veins running beneath the surface of his skin. His white-blond hair floated towards the light of the lamps, like hands trying to grab something out of reach. His breathing was shallow and labored. The faint glow around him had faded to a light sheen over his heart.

"Helheim," I muttered to myself.

There were too many lamps in the way, so I began to unplug them to clear a path. The elf didn't move a muscle as I grabbed his legs and began dragging him towards the living room. At the foot of the tanning machine, the elf groaned faintly. Fear struck my heart with a mallet. 

"Hey!" I began to shake him. "You're not dying okay!" 

I knew he couldn't hear me, so I shook his shoulders harder. His eyes cracked open. I ripped off my mask, making sure I kept my back to the dangerous light.

"You're not dying!" I shouted. Tears spilled down my cheeks. "Please, you can't die, too. Do you understand? Get into this thing I made, and it will make you better, alright?"

The elf nodded then closed his eyes. I shoved on the mask, then used what little strength I had left to help shove him into the box I had made. I rolled up his pants to his knees. I grabbed his tank top and yanked it off and over his head. (Were all elves this skinny? I could count his ribs.) 

Finally, he was in place. He looked like an angel bathed in light. His hair stuck out in all directions like a halo. His breathing began to even out, and sound more natural. Was his skin less green? Or was it the lighting? 

He opened his eyes. I was startled again by the brilliant green. For a moment we stared at each other.

I gave him a thumbs up.

He nodded weakly as his eyelids flickered closed. One of his hands began to move on his own. First, he made a fist that he circled on his chest. Then he smirked and pointed at me. His pointer and index finger traced a large circle in the air around his face, then gestured to me again. His hand fell softly against his side. 

"Uh, you're welcome," I said to him. 

Not that he knew it. His breathing had become even and steady -- he was already asleep. 

Relief washed over me like a bucket of ice water. He was going to live. This strange, glowing, green elf was going to live. Exhausted, I leaned my elbows against the tanning bed. With my head in my hands, I looked down at the elf. 

For the first time, I studied him under the light. His hair was so blonde it was almost white. His long, thick eyelashes were the same whitish color; they sat on his face like two delicate moths. The green color of his skin was already draining, leaving behind skin so pale I almost expected to see his organs at work beneath the surface. Twin roses bloomed faintly atop his high cheekbones. His lips were the same pale pink. Now asleep, the pained look on his face had been replaced with a serene one. I stared at the elf a moment longer than I intended to. He was unlike anyone I had ever seen. He was truly beautiful.

I shut the door to the machine. Exhaustion hit me like a tidal wave. My legs buckled and I slid down the side of the table, moving myself into a lying down position so I was side-by-side with the tanning bed. I ripped off the mask and gloves.

From a moment, the entirety of the day replayed itself. The bar. Eitri Junior. Grenades. The alley. Golden slash. The elf. My swollen nose. The sideboard. Eyelash moths. 

From where I was on the floor, I could hear the gentle humming of the machine. I had saved someone with something I had built. As I looked up to the ceiling, a small smile came from nowhere. The motion hurt my cheeks.

"I hope you're proud of me, dad," I whispered.