Chapter Twenty-Three: The Cat that Ate the Jotunheimen Canary

When you hate your mom, a goddess known for her love of cats, you try your hardest to not be a cat-person. It's not difficult in Nidavellir. Only a handful of dwarves have house cats, and they live mostly on the outskirts of Eddaborg. I'm not surprised that I hadn't discovered this hidden talent before. But now, I was staring down shining yellow eyes and thinking: How ironic. After spending my whole live avoiding cats, my death is going to be caused by one. 

"Are you going to eat me?" I blurted out.

The cat purred, sounding a bit amused. 

Not now, the cat teased. I'm not too hungry. 

I laughed weakly, not entirely convinced. I took a step backwards in the direction where Hearthstone was hidden, putting my body between him and the cat. Maybe if the cat ate me, Hearthstone would have enough time to wake up and escape. The cat analyzed my movements.

Relax, they said. I won't eat your or your friend. Now, how did you manage to escape the bird cage?

I swallowed hard. "My friend broke me out," I said softly.

Out of the enchanted iron? The cat purred. Very interesting.

They stopped for a moment to vigorously clean their shoulder. I watched them, trying to calculate a plan, but mostly my brain was saying, AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The cat gave one final, aggressive lick, then turned to me. 

I assume you are looking for a plan of escape.

"Yes," I said carefully. "What can we do to get out of here?"

The cat cocked its head and drilled an amber-eyed stare into my soul. We stood in silence for several moment before I realized why.

"And, uh, of course we will help you with anything you need," I added.  

The cat nodded, then looked to the grandfather clock.

5:52 am. 

There isn't enough time, the cat said. Orick wakes up at 6am for work. 

"Please," I said desperately. "I don't want to die in this house."

The cat wasted precious moments thinking. I wanted to scream.

First understand that no mortal has made it out of this house in over ten years. My stomach sank. But if there is something in it for me, then I always try to help. Now, come with me. 

They turned around and padded to a basket of toys in the corner of the room. I followed. 

On top, the basket consisted of mostly cat toys -- cloth mice filled with catnip, a ball with a bell in it, a stuffed fish. Near the bottom of the basket, my stomach turned. I saw a backpack like mine, covered with dust. Dozens of skis, most of them broken, stuck out in all directions. A little green cap sat atop a cloth mouse, but it looked more hand-knit than toy. I felt sick.

Do you know how to ski? The cat asked. You'll need to get as far away from the house as fast as possible.

"I can learn," I said. 

Good choice, said the cat. 

"Why did you show me this first?" I said. "Couldn't I just use the skis to escape?"

As of right now, there is only way in and out of the house is through the front door, the cat said. Knowing where the skis are won't help you when you're on the chopping block.

I swallowed hard, trying to steady the rocking waves in my stomach.

"Ok, what do you want?" I asked.