Chapter 37: Enjoying A Quiet and Peaceful Time as We Prep for Our Doom (Part 2)

Ten minutes later, and Hearthstone was dead asleep on the couch.

The three of us looked at the snoring elf.

"You should really leave tomorrow," Brokkr said. 

"Agreed," said Fár and I together.

The three of us worked throughout the afternoon, packing up supplies. Brokkr went out to Agnarr's field and retrieved our abandoned items. Fár and I undid the lights in the nursery, now that Hearthstone wasn't literally on his death bed. Then, we started making enough meals for three days of walking.

Worries swirled as I handed her the peanut butter jar. Fár had just finished briefing me about Utgard-Loki. In order to stay at his palace, all travelers had to pass a series of challenges. I wondered what mine would be. I imagined myself having to run for my life. Or fight a blood-thirsty monster. Or do a chin-up.

"Blitzen?" Fár asked. "Hello? I need the bread."

"Oh, sorry," I said, handing her the loaf. 

Fár's kind brown eyes examined me. She put the bread on the counter and faced me.

"You're worried."

I laughed. "Well, yeah."

She shrugged. "Don't be."

I laughed again. 

"Easy for you to say. You're this awesome reporter. You must always keep your cool."

"Trust me, that's not always the case," she said coolly, turning back to the counter. The scar on her cheek looked more prominent in the light. 

"You and Hearthstone..." Fár said, changing the subject. "The two of you are a great team."

"You think so?" I asked.

"Definitely," Fár answered. "I was surprised when you mentioned that you had just met. The two of you... seem to be on the same page about a lot of things."

I shrugged. 

"I guess."

Fár looked at me a moment longer. I could tell she was thinking about something, but I didn't know what. She turned back to the sandwiches. 

"Well, I am glad you found each other."

I was just about to explain to Fár that our relationship was more "business trip coworkers" and less "finding each other" but right before I opened my mouth, I stopped. Something felt wrong about the statement. 

Sure, that is how it started out. Hearthstone fell from the sky. Broke my nose. Scarred my arms. Lied about his name. Then the two of us decided to work together to reach Mimir. Two travelers in Jotunheim were better than one; the decision was practical. But a lot had changed in a short amount of time. I thought about Hearthstone in the flickering firelight of the giant's house, coming to save me. His sarcastic jabs. The way I felt when I saw him laid out and green, as sick as anyone could be. A little start of shock ran through me. Fár was right. Our journey to find Mimir wasn't just a mission the two of us happened to be on. Hearthstone and I were a team. We relied on each other. Sure, I had saved him in the beginning. But, if I really thought about it, where would I be if he hadn't fallen into my life? In a way, he had saved me, too.

"Yeah," was all I said to Fár. 

Then, quieter: "I guess I'm glad I found him."

She gave me another one of those looks, then nodded. We finished bagging the sandwiches in a comfortable silence until Brokkr returned with our things. It was evening when he opened the door. His sled was full of our items: the tent, the backpacks, Hearthstone's scarf, a cooking pot, some forks. Brokkr brushed snow off of his hat and shoulders. His eyelashes were heavy with soft white flakes, already melting in the warmth of the home.