47: I Really Should Have Paid Better Attention in InterWorld History Class

Compared to my journey in Gert's glove, the cramped trip back to the giants' house was quite quick. The giants chatted as we walked back.

"Greta, can you get out Adalbjorg's dress when we get home? I want her to try it on before the dance."

"I'm... not done yet," said the giant carrying me. "I just need to finish some embroidery."

"Greta, I-" The giant sighed. "I asked you to have it done by yesterday. Hurry it along."

"Yes, mom."

"I don't know why you decided to come on this outing if the task was not complete. You're of age. You need to be more responsible."

"Yes, mom."

Between Greta's interlocked fingers was a gap. I was able to peep through it and see my surroundings. The white and snow transformed into a wooden door. It swung open.

"Hello! We are home!"

"I'm right here," someone grumbled. They sounded young and annoyed. 

"Sorry, Adalbjorg, I figured you were up in your room. So nice of you to join us."

"I guess. Did you find the smallings?"

"We did! Go on girls, show your sister."

The hands opened and I was blinded by the bright light. My eyes adjusted and my mouth dropped open. I could barely process the cozy living room, the crackling fire, and the family portraits on the wall. I was focused on the girl in front of me.

She looked like a tween by giant standards, but there was no way she was a giant. In the middle of her forehead was a single, giant brown eye. It flicked over me, examining my appearance. My mind scrambled for the name of beings that had one eye, but the only image I could find was a picture of an old InterWorld History class teacher. I don't know what was more terrifying -- the group of hungry giants towering over me, or the mental image of Teacher Vassi's favorite brown coat paired with a limp, lime green dress. I had spent all of her classes drawing her better outfits.

"Close them back up, girls."

My head snapped to Hearthstone. His eyes locked with mine. I looked for any sign of an escape plan, any hint at hope, but all I found were green tear tracks on his cheeks. 

My stomach hit the floor, and into the darkness I went. 

This was it. 

We were going to die. 

Someone yawned. "I'm bored. I'll be in my room."

"Adalbjorg, maybe you can help Greta with the finishing touches on your-"

"No!" cried my captor. 

The silence was brief, but noticeable. She cleared her throat. "I mean, I really am almost done with the dress. I really don't need any more help. I- I want the dress to be a surprise."

Adalbjorg's voice was tense. "How can it be a surprise if I have already tried it on? I--" She signed. "You know what? Whatever. See ya."

There was the sound of clomping up the stairs. 

Someone sighed. The mom spoke. "If she is already like this now, I'm not sure what I will do with her when she's a teenager..."

"Why don't you go lie down, mom?" Rannveig interrupted. "You must be tired. And don't worry about dinner. Greta and I have everything under control."

"But I would really like to help you prepare the smalling! Make sure you keep a small enough part so that the restaurant won't notice-"

"Mom! Greta is the best smalling cook in the Nine Worlds. We're not a part of the S.C.C. for nothing. We have everything under control."

"Alright then," the mom said. "Call me if you need any help!"

"We will!" said the other sister. 

We were moving again. Every inch of my body filled with adrenaline, but there was nothing I could do. Life was almost through. Questions swirled. What had I done? Crafted some waterfowl? Barely scraped by in every Metalworking class I had ever taken? Obtained a degree in fashion? I had done nothing Nidavellir had ever cared about.

But, for a flash, brighter images of my life appeared. Dad, cheering me up after a particularly hard day at school. Náinn at my side as I helped clean the headstones. Finding Brokkr. Meeting Fár. To my surprise, Hearthstone was there, too. His eyerolls. A megawatt grin in my direction. The way he stood up to Utgard-Loki. His constant presence in my life these last weeks. 

An unexplainable calmness washed over me, but I didn't have time to examine it. 

My giant stopped moving. The palms of her hands were growing damp. 

"Is she gone?"

"I think so."

"How much time do we have?"

"Not much. I have to start the oven and, I don't know, make it sound like I'm cooking, or she'll get suspicious. Take this one." 

The hands holding me cracked open. I caught a glimpse of the two sister's facial expressions, both tense, as I was dumped into the palm of the other giant. Hearthstone and I collided. 

"Ouch!" I called out. Hearthstone grunted. 

"Sorry!" whispered one of them. Then, "I'll be there later. If mom comes down, I'll tell her that you're in our room trying on your dress again or something."

My new captor sighed. "Great. Now I'm lazy and vain."

"Because that is what's important right!" snapped her sister. "Just go Rann. Get them out of here!"

In the dark, hope flickered inside my chest. But the giant was carrying us away, and Hearthstone was still crying. There was no way for me to tell him what I had overheard. I simply reached over and squeezed his hand. 

Soon, I heard the sound of a closed door and the click of a lock. The hands opened up and we were bathed in light. 

Hearthstone and I sat on the palm of a giant, inside a giant's room. 

Two beds with homemade quilts sat on opposite sides of the room. There were stacks of books piled everywhere: on the floor, on the nightstand, peeking out from underneath the bed, stacked high in an overflowing bookcase. A large and cluttered desk was filled with odds and ends: colored pencils, a sewing machine, fabric scissors, more stacks of books. A wooden closet door stood open with a gorgeous blue dress hanging on the back hook.

I was speechless. Hearthstone's face was blank. Together, we turned to the giant.

"So sorry about that!" said the giant apologetically.  "And FYI, I'm not going to eat you."

She placed us carefully on the desk. "I'm Rannveig. My sister Greta is the one out in the kitchen. We aren't out of the woods yet, but we're here to help. The two of us are going to do whatever it takes to get you out of here."