Chapter Forty-Six: Our Escape is a Bit Too Handy

The voices were far off, warbled.

Over here! This has to be them. What other smallings could it be?

Nice! Let's get them now before she finds them. 

But what if she catches us? We can't risk it.  

What's the plan? 

Put the glamour back. Pretend to be looking back over there. Maybe she won't find them...

This was a dream, of course. I'm simply dreaming...

I awoke slowly. For a moment I couldn't figure out where I was, or why I was so comfortable and warm. Wasn't I in Jotunheim? My eyes squinted open. My heart stopped. I went from groggy to wide awake in one second flat. 

When Hearthstone and I share the same sleeping bag, the two of us fall asleep and wake up in the exact same position -- flat on our backs, shoulders barely touching. This morning was different. The two of us had moved.

Hearthstone was on his side, slightly curled around me. I was still on my back, but my body was fully leaned into him. Hearthstone's chin rested atop my head. My temple leaned lightly against his chest.

My heart had started back up; it was now going a mile a minute. As quickly and carefully as possible, I detached myself from our sleeping arrangement. My face felt as if it was going to melt off and fall onto the floor. I forced myself to look at Hearthstone. He was still asleep. I let out a sigh of relief. 

Okay, no big deal, I thought to myself. We just moved around while sleeping. Nothing unusual. Probably a cold night. 

I was very thankful to have woken up first. My face flushed again. Helheim. It would have been embarrassing to wake up like that. I took a deep breath and collected myself. There would be no time to think about anything other than a plan to get out of Jotunheim. It was the morning of the 20th. Hearthstone had less than 48 hours before he was frozen solid. We needed to get out of the world of giants today. 

Outside, the day was just beginning to dawn. It was still dark, but faint light shone on the white expanse of nothingness. I ignored our current geographical issue and set about getting ready for the day.

Fár's sandwiches were looking a bit soggy, so I pulled out some packets of oatmeal. I started a fire and began getting ready to cook. 

An unzipping of the tent turned my head around. Hearthstone. I tried not to think about earlier.

Good morning, I signed. Are you hungry?

Hearthstone shrugged. 

I tried to read him, but couldn't tell if he was wearing his mask, or if he was just sleepy. He looked alright. Well-rested, even. 

Hearthstone came and sat right next to me. He pulled out the notebook. 

What is the plan? 

No talk of yesterday or of last night. I followed suit. 

Breakfast first. I am making oatmeal. 

Hearthstone gave a little nod, but I could tell he was not excited about the prospect. Reading him was getting easier. 

Or soup. We can have soup for breakfast. 

He shook his head. 

We can't have soup for breakfast.

Why not?

Because...

Hearthstone stared blankly at the page.