Chapter Fifty-Four: One Last Trick Up Her Sleeve

This time, Hearthstone and I ended up in Rannveig's sleeve rather than Greta's pocket.

"Greta would never have a shoe undone," Adalbjorg explained. "If she was bent over the fountain, then Mom and Dad might come over to make sure she's alright. But if it were Rannveig bending over, being all unladylike or messy..."

"Mom would just sigh," Rannveig nodded approvingly.

Greta examined Rannveig's dress. 

"And Rann's sleeves are puffier than mine," she noted.

"Exactly," said Adalbjorg.

"Where were you this morning when we were planning?" Rannveig joked.

"Upstairs in my room, being ignored by you."

Rannveig choked.

"Okay, you've got me there."

Adalbjorg laughed. Then, she turned to Greta.

"If things are about to go wrong, break a glass. Everyone knows you're careful. But if things have already gone wrong, don't break the glass. It will just let everyone know you're in on the whole escape plot." She turned to address Rannveig, too. "If anyone gets caught, make it look like the rest of us weren't involved. Understand?"

"Yes ma'am," Rannveig saluted.

"Great job, Addie," said Greta, looking impressed.

"Okay," Adalbjorg turned to look at me and Hearthstone. "Are you ready to meet Mimir?"

I nodded. Hearthstone saw me nod, then nodded as well.

"Oh, I forgot," Adalbjorg said. She turned to us.

"I'm Addie. Nice to meet you," she said to me and Hearthstone.

"Hi Addie," I said, waving.

Hearthstone waved hello as well.

"Cool, let's do this," she said.

Carefully, Hearthstone and I were put into Rannveig's long sleeve. There was an elastic band around her wrist that made the sleeve look puffy. Hearthstone and I stood on the elastic and held onto Rannveig's arm. There wasn't much room, but we managed to squish. 

"Ready?" Rannveig asked once we had settled. 

"Ready!" I called up. 

"Let's not walk out together," Adaljborg suggested. "Greta, you first. Go ask Howea to dance."

Greta immediately began to cough. "I don't think that now is the right time..."

"Oh Howea, I wish to marry you," said Greta's voice from directly above.

"Rann, stop," Greta hissed.

"How many children do you want Howea? I have always wanted a son named Kári," came Greta's voice again, this time from across the room. 

"Adaljborg! Stop reading my journal!"

"Hide it better, then," Adaljborg replied. 

"I am not asking Howea to dance in front of you two," Greta said. There was a slight panic in her voice.

"But now is the perfect time," Adaljborg said.

"And why is that?" Greta asked.

"Because Rann and I will be at the fountain. You can ask her without us watching and be halfway through a dance by the time we arrive."

There was a pause.

"Greta," Rannveig said. Her voice was soft. "We won't come if you don't want us to..."

"No, no," said Greta. "It's fine. I... Let me just leave first. Okay?"

"Of course," said Rannveig.

"Good luck," added Adaljborg. She sounded genuine, as well. 

There was the opening and closing of a door. 

"Her face turns so red," Rannveig commented. 

"Kind of like when you talk about Ødger," Adalbjorg said. 

"Addie!" 

"What?" Adalbjorg said innocently. "Just something I have noticed."

Rannveig huffed. "Let's go. Time's wasting."

"If you say so."

Hearthstone and I began to move forward. The creak of the door. Footsteps down the hall. The noise of the party grew louder and louder as we swung. Then, we were in the middle of it. Chatter and laughter. Calls for more food, more dances, more mead. Rannveig's arm grew damp. Beads of sweat began to make their way down her wrist.

"Let's hurry," Rannveig said quietly, and the two of them picked up the pace. 

Suddenly, the sound of rushing water joined the noise of the party. 

Adalbjorg let out a little sigh of relief. "You see what I see?" she whispered.

"I know," Rannveig mumbled. "Utgard-Loki must still be talking to Uncle Ansgar."

"We're lucky," Adalbjorg whispered. "Let's hurry."

I should have been overjoyed at the news. Utgard-Loki wasn't guarding the fountain! But in the pit of my stomach, his absence made me anxious. A snippet of his conversation with Uncle Ansgar floated through my head.

But it will all be for naught if those two smallings are still tromping around the Worlds...

First off, why did he care so much that Hearthstone and I escaped? Wounded pride wouldn't create such a comment. And the bigger question -- if Hearthstone and I continued on our journey, what would all be for naught? 

But the time for wondering was over. The roar of the fountain grew louder, drowning out my thoughts. Sooner than expected, we were being lowered to the ground. 

From somewhere above us, Adabjorg whispered, "I am going to laugh like you just something funny in three... two... one..."

I thought I heard a quiet good luck as Rannveig began to shake her arm, causing Hearthstone and I to lose our grip.

Adalbjorg's laugh started right as we fell out of the sleeve and into the air. 

For a moment, there was brightness and noise. 

Then, Hearthstone and I hit the water. 

Everything went dark as we disappeared down the drain.