Chapter Seventeen: A Leap of Faith Calls for Lots of Screaming

We promised Náinn a goodbye visit before we left. We were on the porch overlooking a dark, pre-mossglow cemetery when he gave us one last bit of not-so-cheery information. 

"I forgot to mention. Make sure that you leave by the fall equinox," Náinn said. 

"Why?" I asked. "And when is that?"

"It's about three weeks from now, on September 22nd," Náinn replied. "I was doing some last-minute reading about Jotunheim to help you both, and I thought you should know the date. Blitzen, you will be fine after the 22nd. Dwarves are more resistant to extreme temperatures. But for Hearthstone..." He turned to look at the elf. "In Jotunheimen, the seasons change overnight on solstices and equinoxes. September 21st will be summer in Jotunheim, but after midnight it will be fall. As an elf, you can freeze solid."

Hearthstone nodded grimly. 

"What day is today?" I asked Náinn. Time had been tricky for me since the day dad left for the island. 

"September 2nd," Náinn replied. "But please don't be too concerned. You two should be fine. According to Brokkr's notes, it should only take you a week to reach Mimir."

I breathed a sigh of relief. That should be plenty of time to get in and out.

"Do you have enough flashlights?" Náinn asked Hearthstone. "Jotunheim has cloud cover year-round. It's not even enough to petrify a dwarf, so I wouldn't rely on sunlight to sustain you."

Hearthstone nodded and pulled out his special hat.

"I made it," I said as Náinn took the hat in his hands. The knit red hat with a white puffball matched Hearthstone's red and white striped scarf. It looked like a normal hat from the back. From the front, one of my reading lights attached to the front of the hat. The little light would arch from the center of his forehead and point its light directly into Hearthstone's face. I had even switched out the lightbulb for a stronger one. Náinn nodded, impressed. 

"Very good, Blitzen." Náinn gave me a smile. "Your dad would be proud of you."

Tears began to well in my eyes. I pulled in Náinn for a hug.

"Will you hold onto his cloak for me?" I said into his ear.

"Of course, my boy," he said, "but only until you come back."

He gave me one last squeeze, then pulled away. 

"Water purifier?"

"Yes."

"Sleeping bags?"

"Yes?"

"Dried food? Expandable pots? Extra socks?"

"I have thought of everything, Náinn."

He clasped a hand on my shoulder. "You boys be safe."

"We will," I said. 

Náinn gave us each of us one more hug. Hearthstone stood stiffly for his. We left with a few more goodbyes before we turned away from the cemetery. I didn't look back. I could only imagine that this is how Náinn last saw Brokkr leave Nidavellir ten years ago. I reached into my pocket and felt the envelope in my pocket that he had given to me earlier.

"In case you find my son," he said. "It's a long shot, but I want him to know that I love him and miss him. And that I'm sorry."

I fingered the edges of the envelope. The odds of me finding Brokkr were almost zero, but I took the note out of love for Náinn. I couldn't break his heart twice in one day. 

Hearthstone and I headed back to the apartment, where we got our supplies. He handed me the hat, which I tucked into my bag. I stood in the doorway one last time and looked into the apartment. My dad had stood in this exact spot when he left for the Island of Lyngvi. I thought about his shuttered shop and pieces of his cloak.