Chapter Thirty-Four: Four at the Dinner Table

Brokkr was ecstatic to have Hearthstone awake. During Hearthstone's first dinner out of the bedroom, Brokkr peppered him with questions.

"When you cast a runestone, it just disappears?" Brokkr asked excitedly. "And each one creates a different type of magic? Are all elves able to--"

"Calm yourself, love," said Fár. "He just woke up."

Hearthstone had done well through the first half of the meal, but now he looked like he was about to pass out. He had propped up an elbow on the table, his chin heavily resting on his hand. His eyes were drooped and unfocused.

I kept signing, do you want to sleep? But he would just yawn and shake his head.

We also found out why Hearthstone was sleeping in a nursery. Fár laughed when I asked.

"I can't believe you didn't notice," she said, mildly amused. She patted her stomach. "I am pretty huge."

Hearthstone took in my surprised look. He gave a sleepy smirk and flicked me in the ear.

He signed, giant glove and B-O-U-L-D-E-R. I rolled my eyes. Okay, maybe I didn't notice everything.

Fár was due at the end of October. It turns out that big sweater with the world serpent design is the only thing that fits her nowadays. The sweater also had significant backstory.

"The two of us work at The Jörmungandr Journal," Brokkr said. "Fár is the best reporter on the paper."

Fár frowned. "Was the best reporter."

Brokkr gave her a loving look.

"Is the best reporter. You are just... taking a little break." He turned to me. "Fár is very dedicated to her job."

"The Norns were restless when I left. I'm probably missing a new prophecy right now," she grumbled.

"Fár works in the V.O.P. Department -- Visions, Omens and Prophecies." Brokkr explained. "It's the most prestigious office, since it keeps track of Ragnarök. She collects as many V.O.P.s as possible and figures out who is in them, if the premonitions are dangerous, et cetera. Fár has a real eye for it. She has delayed the end of the world five times. It's the most in department history."

Brokkr looked at her, proudly.

"They offered her a position as the Department Head at least a dozen times, and Editor twice. Fár turned both of the jobs down."

She harrumphed. "You know I don't like being stuck inside."

"You know it's better to be inside then running around the branches of the World Tree right now."

"I was fine!"

"Only because Angela had Darri and þekkr tail you. They had to pull you out of that lichen patch and into Nidavellir before that damnable squirrel showed up."

"Ratatoskr wouldn't have gotten me! And I just have a little issue with my balance right now." Fár crossed her arms and shot Brokkr an accusing glance. "Besides, it's your fault I'm heavier than normal."

Brokkr tried not to look amused. "The V.O.P. Department had to relocate to a different office because she kept showing up for work. Everyone is trying to get her to relax."

"I don't relax!"

"We are aware, love."

"What's your job at the paper?" I asked Brokkr.

Brokkr demeanor changed. He smiled softly. "I'm the paper's archivist."

I nearly choked. 

"Archivist?" I sputtered. "You just sit in an office all day? With records and things?"