⁵. ⁿᵒ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ʲᵃᶜᵏᵉᵈ ᶜʰᵃʳᵍᵉʳˢ

CHAPTER FIVE: PART ZERO ; ASHES TO ASHES, THEY ALL FALL DOWN

She'd hadn't had this much fun looking around since the first time her mom had brought her to Barnes & Noble for her ninth birthday. It felt better than if she was a kid in a candy store, or a toddler in the toy section at Target. This chance was absolutely blowing her mind, and even if it was some messed up dream that'd she'd forget if she woke up from a coma, she'd at least make the most of it.

Emerson wasn't sure if her mind could make up even half the things she'd seen in that room. From small spy cameras, to bullet proof armor- and even suits that looked like they came straight out of Marvel.

Now, she was trying out a few different weapons.

She felt like a mix of a badass and an absolute fool as she missed her targets every single time, the gun in her hands feeling heavy and hard to adjust too.

Besides her was a stoic Mikayla, who stayed quiet despite her many attempts at a conversation. ("Hey, do you ever think about whether or not our pets have given us names kinda like we give them theirs?" "No one has ever been in an empty room before." "Has anyone ever told you that you're slightly terrifying? No?").

Watching the girl meet the target at almost every shot made the blonde sigh. Looking down at the black pistol in her hands, which made her arms sore from both the weight of holding it in her hands and the kickback that shook her frame, she frowned to herself.

No matter how cool she thought it was, the weapon wasn't for her.

E huffed slightly as she turned on her heel, exiting the range and sliding the earmuffs off of her head.

The girl couldn't find a single thing that really called out to her. She couldn't fight hand-to-hand- so daggers were out of the question- her arms could barely hold the bow and arrow straight when she aimed. Not to mention that she was just pure awful at shooting a gun.

There were always defensive things like armor and shields.. but they just didn't seem as exciting as something that she could call herself good at.

Reluctantly placing the gun back where it'd belonged on the shelves, the girl trudged over to the green duffle bag - they really did have everything here - and to review everything she'd packed.

Enough clothes for three days, an extra pair of shoes, .. it wasn't much, but she didn't feel like going into this with too much. She felt like all she really needed was-

Her eyes caught the end of one of the tables, where the tablets and other cool objects settled.

Emerson's eyes twinkled as she walked over, turning a few on just to see what they would do.

The first thing she picked up was a phone, resembling something that she'd had when she was- It didn't matter, she picked it up and swiped around, finding a few emergency contacts with only the words 'Blank' and a number. She assumed that they didn't seem important right now, but didn't ignore the memory of the discovery altogether.

It seemed to be a regular phone, just like the laptop that she picked up, and the tablet.

Deciding she didn't need much more than what she had at her fingertips- feeling only slightly guilty for taking so much- the girl filtered around for anything that resembled a charger. But, to her confusion, she found nothing.

It didn't look like there were cords of any kind around her, leaving the girl with nothing to go off of.

"They don't need to charge."

She jumped three feet in the air at the sudden voice, shrieking at the sudden motion. Shakily returning the electronics to the table, her legs wobbling around like inflatable balloons, she braced the side for balance.