². ˢᵉᵃʳᶜʰⁱⁿᵍ ᶠᵒʳ ᵃ ᵇᵉᵉᵗˡᵉ ⁱⁿ ᵃ ʲᵃʸˢᵗᵃᶜᵏ

CHAPTER TWO: PART ZERO ; ASHES TO ASHES, THEY ALL FALL DOWN
"Have you started to notice that we haven't gotten tired yet?" The brunette looked back at her with a furrowed brow. "I don't even feel hungry, which is weird because I'm always starving."

Emerson looked back at her new friend, considering her words. Mikayla was right, she didn't feel tired, or restless.. they'd been talking for hours but it seemed like there was no need to even think about food. Or a bathroom for that matter.

The blonde bit her lip as she stood up. "Yeah, you're right. And now I kinda want to know why."

"You'd think now that we'd gotten through introductions, they'd at least tell us why we were here." Her friend crossed her arms as she followed the black-clad figure. "I'm kinda getting impatient."

Both girls ventured into the back of the room, sharing a nod as they began to comb across the area. Emerson went straight for the drawers in the desk while Mikayla tried looking through the back bookshelf- the one with all of the weird writing.

Opening every drawer carefully, digging through little pieces of crumpled gum wrappers and weird objects- almost like all of the confiscated items from a middle school had been thrown inside- she tried looking for secret compartments or levers.

She went as far as to pull out a few drawers and check the backing of the desk for clues.

But she ended up with nothing, and after combing the last drawer to find only a few scratches at the bottom, she huffed out a deep breath. "This sucks."

After receiving only a grunt in reply from her new friend, the blonde looked over, spotting what seemed to be a single book that stood upright on the shelf.

The girl, curious, walked over. ""What'd you find?"

Mikayla huffed, crossing her arms. "The damn thing won't budge. It's gotta be something important."

They both eyed the book carefully, and even E lifted up a hand to try knocking it over, but even then it still wouldn't budge. She huffed in annoyance, then using two hands to try to make the red cover budge.

When that failed her - yet again - she huffed angrily, staring at the cover in frustration.

"How in the world are we gonna get that to move?" Emerson said, bluntly gesturing to the object of interest. "As far as we know, that shit's got some type of Mjolnir norse-god magic."

"Well, if we had some kind of four-wheel drive, I'd bet it'd move."

"I think you just walked flat past the joke there."

Mikayla rolled her eyes, staring at the book that sat right at her eye-level, almost taunting her. A bright red leather cover, with burnt engravings that held the secrets of a language that didn't belong to them. Emerson would die to be able to figure out what those books said.

"What if.." The brunette tried, putting a hand under her chin. "What if we tried doing it together?"

The two looked at each other with raised eyes before they both conceded and each placed a hand on the heavy paper. On the count of three, each of their guts' twisting with anticipation, both pulled down on the binding of the book.

And as if this was some kind of fairy tale disney type shit- it worked. With the power of friendship, the two girls were able to move the book backwards.

They stared in silence as it seemed to unlock some kind of door, the bookshelf swinging open with a small creak to reveal a warm yellow light shining through.

Emerson narrowed her eyes. "I.. was not sure that would actually work."

"Me neither." Mikayla pursed her lips for a moment before letting them vibrate a few seconds in thought. "Well, no time like the present. Let's go."

She watched the brunette push forwards, opening the door widely before disappearing. The door swung back and forth for a few seconds

Emerson debated for only a second before following.