⁹. ᵘⁿᶜʳᵘˢᵗᵃᵇˡᵉˢ

CHAPTER NINE: PART ONE ; HER MUSIC SPEAKS AND IT STINGS LIKE A BEE
A harsh glow caught her eye, making the figure shift with a grunt- using her arm to block the sunlight. Turning over to meet a cloth wall, she sighed, happy to find a cove of darkness. The girl's breathing slowed again..

Wait.

"Scrap!" She shot awake, slamming her head on what felt like a roof. The girl immediately grabbed her head in pain, grimacing. "Ow, that hurt."

A frantic whirring met her ears as the environment around her began to become clearer.

"H-Holy shit!" Mikayla cackled from the front seat as her vision focused. "Dude! What the fuck was that?"

Em grumbled to herself as she ducked her head, rubbing the sore spot as she scanned through the windows.

It looked like they were parked in the lot of a shopping mall- and judging by the fresher look of the older brunette, she guessed that they'd been there for at least an hour.

She rubbed her eyes, scooting back a little more to get comfortable.

Mikayla tossed her a small pouch, and she grabbed it out of the air with an eyebrow raised. Turning it over in her hand, she hummed. "Uncrustable?"

"Oh shut it." Mik huffed. "I had twenty dollars in my jacket pocket, it was the best I could do."

The girl passed back a bottle of water and a pack of carrots and ranch dip too, her jaw set as she dared the blonde to say anything else. Em shrugged as she took the packages. "Not complaining. I'll take it."

Truth be told, she wasn't quite sure she would be able to hold the food down with the sheer amount of anxiety coursing through her insides, but she took it anyway.

Looking around through small mouthfuls, she swallowed. "So, where to?"

Bee pulled out of the space as his engine rumbled. "We go.. to the boy's.. house."

She leaned back in her seat. "Aight, sounds chill."

Mikayla turned her head to the girl, looking her up and down. Em shifted slightly under the gaze. Once they caught eye contact, the brunette turned back around and pretended it didn't happen. This went on for a solid ten minutes, but when she caught her eyes in the rearview mirror too, she cleared her throat.

The brunette wiped the corner of her mouth with her wrist. "You never told me how you ended up in that shit hole."

"Shit hole?" She raised an eye.

"Yeah, with the weird old guy."

Okay, she would play that game. "What, the one with the suit?"

"Yeah. The Morgan Freeman sounding dude. You know exactly who I'm talking about."

"I'm not sure I do.."

Mikayla flipped around in the seat. "What do you mean you don't know? You were right there with me!"

"Hmm, I don't quite recall.."

"Oh come on." Mikayla glared at her from the rearview with a tight grimace. Clearly she didn't like dodging the subject.

Emerson looked innocently back out the window as a well placed smirk appeared on her face. "I mean.. another uncrustable might jog my memory-"

Before she could react, a sandwich bag came hurtling at her face.. at missile speeds, knocking straight into her already-bruised forehead.

Mikayla cackled as the blonde rubbed the sore area- getting a strong sense of deja-vu. A sputter came from the radio as Bee tried not to laugh either- although to anyone around, it just sounded like car trouble.