Chapter Five

ZAYN MALIK

I grabbed a book off Harry's bookshelf when he finally let go of my foot and leaked. It would be my perfect weekend, just not so perfect because I was literally in prison. I couldn't touch my cell phone, I couldn't do a damn thing that I was likely to get beaten up by a jailer.

I flipped through that boring book and decided to look for another one in his stuff, ending up looking at some pictures on the shelf. Always seeing him with his father and a tacky trophy in his hands. Medals. But in every picture I saw, something severely caught my attention. Harry didn't smile at either. What was it about him with smiles? Was he truly happy earning all that shit? Was it winning for him or for his father?

I found another more hidden book and was interested at first because I saw that it would have a lot of crap. I threw myself on my bed and read all Saturday. It contained zombie apocalypse, lots of blood, nonsense bullshit, and gay incest in the middle. Which really surprised me for being something that didn't sit well with Harry. But in fact it was really good.

I was in the middle of the book when all of a sudden I ended up turning over and falling asleep. Even forgetting I had Payne's social. He didn't even know where it would be and he wasn't in the mood to go around the castle looking either. So when I finally relaxed into bed, I heard a knock on the door that took away my peace. I got up at once and when I opened it I saw Payne and Louis himself. There were about five girls too, drinks and a speaker.

— Did you teleport from where?

I won't even ask how they got these things. I scratched the back of my neck, thinking that a little party wouldn't be bad anyway. I allowed them to enter.

— Not for asking questions, Malik. — Payne said.

I let out a low laugh picking up the book from the bed and hiding it in my things. Then put it in Harry's things.

Louis was already pouring what looked like vodka into plastic cups. Then did they burn? I shrugged, taking one he'd just filled and handing it to me. I turned a few sips seeing that it was still good, no headaches the next day.

They said the inspections these days were lazier. They also explained to me the party scheme that always took place in the abandoned place. One of the pool areas that had never been renovated. Nobody went there, that's what everyone thought when there were clearly crazy high parties. Obviously those kids weren't robots or clearly everyone would have been brainwashed.

— You really want to get out of here, right? — Payne began, inhaling the cigarette and exhaling upward.

Then he threw me one, which I quickly lit and inhaled. Slower because he'll know when I could smoke again. I was trying to make the most of it.

— After here my dad is going to throw me in a penthouse halfway around the world and let me die from drugs. Better than here, isn't it?

I raised an eyebrow, parting my lips to puff out smoke in circles.

— Is that your life plan? Get high on a penthouse? — He asked, then laughed. Drinking more of the vodka in her glass, but her eyes were on the girls milling around Louis.

— No. —  I brought the cigarette to my lips and turned my eyes to the boy beside me. — I'm not just taking drugs on the roof.

I wink one of my eye, eliciting a laugh from him. It wasn't my goal in life, but I liked to let people be absolutely sure it was that, including my father. I didn't even use drugs, but I really had that face of someone who did so much shit that people just looked at me and imagined great things. What did it cost to feed the imagination of others a little more?