It's Not All Over : Chapter 10

Shreya had returned to her cell after Daya’s visit. She already missed him and had only been gone a few minutes. He was going to take risks, to take law in his hands, she knew it, she knew him. He had promised her not to do anything stupid or dangerous, but he would not keep his promise. She couldn't blame him. In his place, she would do the same. She loved him and the idea that he could end his life in prison would be unbearable. It had been the case when he killed Daniel. She had done her best to get him out of prison, taking all the risks, not caring about her own safety.

Today the tables were reversed and he would do the same. He was going to take risks for her, he was going to put his life in danger for her. This man was really good, whatever he might say. He had always considered himself guilty of the death of his mother even today. She had told him so often that it had nothing to do with it, that he couldn't blame himself for someone else's actions. It had taken a while, but he had figured it out eventually, at least she hoped so.

Shreya turned on her bed, trying to think of something else. The woman who shared her cell was not there and the officer relished her solitude. This woman scared her a little, which was saying a lot. She wasn't afraid of much, but this woman had something in her eyes that chilled her back. Bohra must have had spies here, people to watch over her.

Suddenly, complaints in the hallway caught her attention. Shreya straightened up, listening intently to find out what was going on. She heard the voice of a young girl, certainly the one she had seen earlier, as well as the slightly louder voice of another angry woman. She got off the bed, walked over to the railing, and glanced outside the cell. The young girl was sitting on the floor, her arms wrapped around her legs. She was crying hot tears. Three women stood above her, screaming, laughing.

It was too much for Shreya, not supporting to see these women attacking such a young girl. She had been that young girl one day, worried, fragile, sad. No one had helped her back then, she had worked hard to become the strong woman she was today. So she decided to help the girl. If she hadn't had anyone, this poor girl could have someone. She might be in jail, but she could still do good.

Shreya came out of the cell and walked quickly to the group a little further on and no one noticed her. The women jostled the young girl, insulted her and no one helped her. She was the only one who could do it. When one of the women hit the girl on the back, it was too much for Shreya who rushed forward and pushed her abruptly, causing her to fall to the ground. She stood in front of the girl, her eyes sparkling.

- "Get out of there," the woman yelled, straightening up. " It's not your business."

- "Leave that girl alone," Shreya hissed between her teeth.

- "You don't know who the hell you're after," the woman sneered. "Never take it out on Tanya and that's what you just did. You'll regret it."

Before Shreya could do anything, Tanya and her two friends rushed over Shreya, knocking her to the floor with a thud. They hit her again and again, but the officer wouldn't let it go. She punched as best she could, kicking and punching. Her eyesight was growing blurry, her movements slow, and she certainly wouldn't have gotten out of it if a guard hadn't arrived to stop the slaughter.

Shreya felt lifted up and she opened her eyes slightly to see a guard carrying her. She slowly turned her head and saw the young girl, still on the ground, watching her walk away. She offered her a weak smile and Shreya returned it before closing her eyes and being led by the guard towards the infirmary. She had pain in her ribs, back and head. Her ears were ringing, from the ground hitting her head when she fell.

She felt herself being laid on a bed and she opened her eyes. The guard looked at her, smiled gently at her, then walked away. A nurse walked over, ran a hand over her forehead, and smiled at her as well. Shreya tried to give it back, but she only managed to growl in pain while holding her stomach.