It's Not All Over : Chapter 29

Abhijeet was watching Daya, sitting at Shreya’s desk. The man hadn't been the same since Shreya had been placed in this protection program. He knew it was for the best, for her safety, but that didn't mean it was easy. He blamed himself for not having done anything earlier, he blamed himself for not being able to protect her when she needed to.

The poor woman had suffered so much in recent months. Finding herself in jail when she was innocent must not have been easy. She had never done anything wrong in her life, had always played by the rules. She had spent her life protecting others, trying to dispense justice. It had hurt his heart to put her in the cell, but he had only done his job.

The months that followed had been difficult for everyone. Daya wasn't recovering from Shreya’s death, as were most of the officers who had known her. But when Daya told him that she was alive, and that she was pregnant, he had done everything to find her. It had taken a long time, too long. But he had.

And now? She was once again far from her family, from those who mattered most to her, from Daya. They had made the right choice to protect her. He wished he could have done better, but it was the only thing he could do. Put her under protection until Karan Bohra’s arrest.

What he regretted the most was having to use Daya for this. The man was risking his life to find the man who had broken up his family, knowing it could cost him his life. Abhijeet didn't want that to happen, he didn't want to lose Daya to save Shreya’s life. He wanted to see them happy, he wanted them to experience what life had denied them for all these years.

Suddenly Daya stood up and walked over to his office. Abhijeet tried to occupy himself by grabbing a file that was lying around, but it wouldn't help. When Daya walked into the room, he knew Abhijeet wasn't really working.

"I think I have an idea to attract Bohra" he announced. "It's risky, he might not bite the hook, but that's all I have right now and I don't want to waste any more time. I want to be with Shreya.”

"I’m listening to you.”

Daya settled into a chair and outlined his plan. Abhijeet listened intently, taking notes so that he could study it all before he agreed. As Daya had said, the plan involved risks, enormous risks. But it wasn't bad either. The only problem was that they couldn't involve too many agents, at the risk of being exposed. It also meant that Daya would be alone. Of course, Nikhil, Kavin and himself wouldn't be far away, but they might not be able to make it in time.

If he could, he would have refused this plan. But the determination in the eyes of Daya made him understand that he would go all the way, with or without help. He preferred to be there to help him, to protect him. He didn't want to have to tell Shreya about the death of her man. He wanted to be able to find her to tell her that it was all over, that she was finally free.

It might take some more time, but they would get there. They were determined.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Shreya walked across the kitchen, one hand on her stomach, the other holding a steaming cup of tea. It was late, she should be in bed, resting. But she couldn't do it. The first day she had walked around her new home, trying to feel at home. The house was large, with three bedrooms, one of which had been decorated for Adarsh. There was a fairly spacious bathroom and a smaller one adjoining the master bedroom. Sachin had decided it would be his sister's room. When she protested, he argued that she was the only woman in the house and that, since she was pregnant, she deserved more privacy than others.

Shreya still remembered Adarsh’s reaction when he saw his room. The walls were blue, covered in racing car. He had turned his head to Shreya, seeming to ask if he was allowed in. She smiled at him and gently pushed him into the room. It had taken him a while, but eventually he felt comfortable enough to really enjoy all the toys available to him. It had given her tears of happiness.