A Rift Miles Wide

Chapter 11

            With that, Gil stalked away, in a simple white undershirt and the black pants. He didn’t feel the cold against his skin, or the yelling from some soldiers. He only was aware of the hot tears falling from his eyes, and the empty dull pain of his heart shattering, and the cold chill of loneliness setting it. Behind him lay a camp of hell. And a madman…and the one he once called brother, his only family.

            He never needed me…I don’t need him…

            Gilbert got into the car again, and he drove off, down the cold road. He never once looked back. He didn’t need to. There was nothing to see. Nothing to miss behind him. Nothing to regret leaving behind him.

            It was now just him.

            It’s just me… he thought as he left the camp in the distance. Only a road and miles separated the two brothers physically. But the miles seemed like an entire gulf or canyon. There was no going back. No going after. The Tiber, had been crossed.[1]

            Back in the tent Ludwig stood still. He stared at the pile of clothes, and the Cross.

            …Stupid soldier.

            He kicked the clothes under the bed, and turned and left the tent. The matter already out of his mind.

            Ha, he thought I needed him? What was I supposed to care he left? He is useless to the Vaterland, and therefore, useless to me. What good is family in war anyway? Ha the only reason to fight is to kill! Not to defend anyone!

            He laughed quietly to himself, his blue eyes shimmering with madness. He walked down the road to the communication tent, where some lower officers stood.

            They snapped to attention as he walked in.

            “General!” the one man barked, stiff as a board, his right arm snapped out dead straight.

            Ludwig nodded to them, and they relaxed slightly.

            “What do we lowly fools owe to the pleasure of your greatness, highest General?” the one man asked

            “Do we have any sharpshooters laying around like worthless dogs?”

            A captain shuffled quickly through papers. “There’s a Prussian lad somewhere around, best around.”

            “Get him.” He ordered

            The man scrambled away.

            Ludwig turned to the other two men. “Is there any important things happening?”

            “Rommel is working on taking over France.”

            “And our progress?” he asked, staring at the man

            He man squirmed, his eyes were boring into him, almost daring him to slip up, so there would be a reason to punish him.

            Not that a reason was needed.

            “We suffered few losses…tomorrow we will be advancing farther into Poland, we have nearly taken all of it.”

            Ludwig nodded sharply. Just then the captain and the sharpshooter rushed into the room.