Changes That Are Not Welcome

Chapter 8

            Gilbert stood in front of a podium, over a half million Prussian soldiers stood below him.

            “Soldiers! It is sometimes hard, to be a solider. The food isn’t always great. The living conditions, are terrible at times. The commanders can be harsh, and the war long. And sometimes, the orders conflicting with morals. Yeah, being a soldiers hard. There’s many jobs to be done, long days, and stupid and power hungry leaders. But what makes a soldier a true man, s how loyal he is to his cause, and to his country. The King’s brought it to my attention that you do not follow orders, and that is a problem. Tell me, if you do not listen to your king, where does your loyalty lie?”

            A few men hung their heads in shame, but a few roared in anger

            “He has no military experience! I swear he’s trying to kill us half the time!”

            Gilbert looked at the man who said this “He’s a damn fool, we all know that. You still…have to obey him.”

            One of the generals stepped forward “His orders are absurd, and I must put the welfare of my men before his orders.” 

            Oh damn… argh I don’t want to do this

            “Look, I want the Generals to come with me, and we’ll have a nice little conversation with the King alright?”

            The soldiers roared in approval, and the general who had spoken smiled kindly, for he respected Gilbert.

            A meeting like this took time, and a few months later, Gilbert finally stood in a room with his generals and king.

            “We’ve gathered here for this meeting because the soldiers of Prussia are loyal to not their king, but their generals. Now, my King, as an ex-commander, I do say your orders are not ones any soldier will follow.”

            The king slammed his fist on the table “THE WILL LISTEN TO ME OR ILL HANG THEM FOR TREASON, STARTING WITH THE GENERALS IN THIS ROOM!”

            At this, the generals broke out screaming, anger flooding the room, screams echoing off the walls. Gilbert sighed, and pinched the bridge of his nose.

            Nothing…will get done. I still need to get back to Germany… my brother…

            He suddenly slammed his fist on the table, his eyes flashing dangerously .

            “LOOK! THIS IS NOT DOING ANYTHING. FOR GOD’S SAKE! MY KING, GIVE SOME INTELLIGENT ORDERS AND MAYBE THE SOLDIERS WILL LISTEN TO YOU! GENERALS, IS IT NOT YOUR JOB TO KEEP MEN LOYAL TO THE KING AND COUNTRY? DO YOUR JOB! THERE, PROBLEM SOLVED!”

            The room remained dead silent, surprise on everyone’s face. Gilbert turned and walked out of the room, his footsteps echoing. He slammed the door, which again echoed in the silent room.

            He angrily stalked down to the train station, boarding the train to Germany, and sitting fuming the whole ride back. Once he saw German land, he began to calm and grow excited. He’d finally be able to see his brother!

            By the time the train pulled into station, Gilbert was almost shaking in excitement. He leapt from the train, and full out ran to the government building where his and Ludwig’s office was.

            He paid no heed to how in those few moths the city changed. He didn’t see the surplus of armed soldiers in the street, or the numerous empty buildings, or the increase in propaganda.