6

despite hushed conversations, and beomgyu's refusal to take part in it, yunho hears.

he hears, and has heard, everything.

he's not exactly feigning sleep, but the exhaustingly long car ride and the dry eyes he's getting from yeosang turning the air conditioner on max make it impossible for him to keep his eyes open.

his head is thrown back against the seat, arms crossed over his chest as the soft sound of music blares from his earphones.

well. earphone.

one of the earpieces is broken. yunho forgot to buy new ones before they left, and also forgot to borrow mingi's extra pair. so he's stuck with hearing only half the guitar riffs from every song.

it really wasn't his intention to listen.

yunho bites his tongue.

he isn't involved. in the first place, he doesn't want to be. it sounds messy enough as it is without him making the entire situation even worse.

he takes things too lightly, but that's yunho's way of coping being unable to handle serious situations.

maybe, he thinks, that's why they purposely leave him out of their problems. he won't admit it, but it does hurt. sometimes. but for the first time, yunho doesn't even want to know what's going on.

on a regular day, yunho would spout out a careless comment, a question the majority would consider dumb.

it's in yunho's system to ask a lot of questions.

that's probably why he's at the top of his class.

__

yunho is a genius.

an academic genius, to be precise. he can organize data structures overnight, solve algorithms in a snap, and figure out how much each of them has to pay just by glancing at the bill.

he's an information technology major that's graduating with honors. he has enough qualifications to join mensa.

however, his lack of ability to make good judgement ends up making him look adventurous yet admirable more than anything else. in his case, ignorance is definitely bliss.

hongjoong explained it best. "smart people don't have common sense."

"you're just jealous i don't smell like your vanilla-loving ass."

before mingi could even burn his tongue with piping hot coffee, he had to lower the porcelain cup from his lips. "what?" he looked at yunho with eyebrows raised, and a corner of his lips twitched upwards. he tried to suppress an oncoming surge of laughter by letting out a shaky, amused breath.

wooyoung was ripping apart his croissant with his fingers. "god, you fucking idiot."

brunch at yunho's apartment always consists of pastries and coffee without hongjoong's morning shot of tequila.

he settles for a gallon of cream and twenty-eight pounds of sugar instead. mingi sometimes slips him a valium or two.

yeosang, looking like everyone else's dad yet again, put down the glossy magazine he was flipping through - i'm trying to see if they used my design! - to say, "they said sense, yunho. not scents with a t." he turned to hongjoong, slipped the magazine across the table.