15

"dude, i haven't seen you in weeks."

rehearsals for the upcoming spring musical were tedious, especially for high school seniors who had to balance academic requirements and prepping for college entrance exams with afternoon practices.

("remember, we are not just theater nerds," their stage director always began, with utmost conviction, as part of his daily pep talk to the cast and crew.

"we are artists," everyone else would chime in.

a mantra that made jongho cringe.

taehyun secretly hated most of his musical theater peers for acting like they're better than everyone else, but he'll take that thought to the grave.

jongho knew, though. he could feel it evidently every time they pass by their fellow club members in the hallway, the way taehyun's shoulders tensed and lip twitched.

"for the love of performing arts," taehyun muttered between clenched teeth as he took his place on the stage, casting everyone a bright smile. "so, help me, stephen schwartz.")

__

san had gone home without jongho for the last month, and appreciated the company of wooyoung who tolerated his constant after-school cravings for burgers and burritos.

on the other hand, jongho spent a lot of time with taehyun who nabbed the leading role in their high school's rendition of bonnie and clyde.

jongho sighed heavily, setting his tray on the cafeteria table across from san. "i'm so exhausted."

"where's taehyun?"

"he's running lines with his leading lady."

san grinned, teasing. "you know, i almost forgot what you looked like."

"rude." jongho huffed, patting his pants pockets, as if looking for something. "anyway, i have something for you."

san picked up his carton of banana milk and took a long sip before he said, "please tell me you're hiding kit-kats under that thick ass sweater."

"unfortunately, no," jongho continued with a roll of his eyes. he pulled out two tickets from the back pocket of his jeans, sliding them across the table to his best friend. "bring wooyoung."

"sweet," san muttered around the straw, picking up the tickets to examine. "who are you playing again?"

"supporting." jongho poked at his mac and cheese, knew san had next to zero interest and knowledge in theater.

("this is a true life crime story, san.")

he would only watch (suffer through was more like it) for the sole reason that his friends were in it.

"i still can't believe taehyun beat me for the lead." a scoff. " me? can you imagine?"

__

the audition process had been intense.

"may the best man win," taehyun started with a smile, offering a hand to jongho.