16

the tablet had become an extension of wooyoung's physical and mental being all throughout college, with him even sneakily answering client emails in the middle of class.

when it finally broke and died the summer before senior year, wooyoung didn't know what to do with himself when his dad granted him some free time before the new one arrived.

taehyun nudged him. "when was the last time you had a break?"

wooyoung blinked, tilted his head to the side. "i mean, i went to a resort last week."

"for a client meeting, dude," san replied. "that doesn't even count."

jongho gasped, slammed his palm against the table. "come with us to jeju."

wooyoung swallowed thickly. "i have to ask my dad."

they all exchanged reluctant glances.

because they didn't expect wooyoung's father to agree so easily (he did, however, which shocked the whole nation), jongho made a powerpoint presentation that included their itinerary titled pre-senior year blues: why wooyoung should be allowed to go to jeju for the summer which, unfortunately, they didn't get to use.

"damn it," jongho muttered, clenching his fist at his side. "it took me, like, an hour to choose a slide design."

__

"i wrote you a song," san admits softly, gently pressing his forehead against wooyoung's own.

"now i'm disappointed you didn't bring your guitar," wooyoung replies with a breathless chuckle. "plus, there's a bonfire tonight. would have been nice to sing around the campfire."

__

"how do i beat someone who plays an instrument?" yunho laments, throwing his head back with a groan. "san's already ten steps ahead of me, and i haven't even arrived at the starting line."

"i think playing the guitar should be the least of your worries."

"girls dig that kind of stuff, though, right?"

"why don't you give him flowers, too, while you're at it?"

"damn," yunho mutters thoughtfully, forehead creasing in intense thought. "i should give him roses after graduation. oh - or carnations. carnations are prettier."

__

for the first time, mingi doesn't feel the need to expose wooyoung for what he truly is: already irrevocably and pathetically lovesick. yunho can - should - figure that out for himself.

they're walking back to the beachfront when yunho begins to lag behind until he finally stops in his tracks. mingi looks back, eyebrows raised in curiosity. "dude, what?" he follows yunho's gaze to the two figures sitting by the shore.

"i'm..." yunho begins softly, watching as wooyoung planted a quick kiss against the corner of san's mouth. he could feel his stomach twist and heart break. "...too late."