chapter 2

The owner of the cafe I used to work at was happy to let me go for my dream. But I did keep some margin and thought of staying back until they find a new worker here.

It didn't take long though as just within two more days it was my final day of work there. I was already instructing the new boy about his work and the door slid again while ringing the bell above it.

I moved my gaze in that direction to find the same person walking through it. My eyes moved to the clock and it was around 6 even today. I smiled while walking towards the counter.

"Good evening, sir, what would you like to have?" I asked. His lips curled into a smile as well before he spoke again, "One filter coffee."

I nodded and went to generate the receipt. In the meantime, he handed me a 50 rupees note. I gave him 10 in return and he went back to his seat after saying his thank you.

I looked back at the new boy and raised my eyebrows. He nodded hurriedly and rushed to get the coffee. I sighed and moved my gaze around the place. I had been working here for the past 5 years. It had become my second home and now leaving everything behind for something new made me a little nervous. Yet I was excited to go ahead.

My eyes went to the boy sitting at one of the tables when the new boy put the cup of coffee in front of him. He smiled at him and blew on his coffee for some time before he took the cup to his mouth.

He put the cup down and stared back at it for some time before looking back at the counter. I crooked my eyebrows and walked from around the counter towards him.

"Any problem?" I asked. He nodded and pointed at the cup before him. "Is it the same?" He asked.

"You ordered a filter coffee," I said with confusion. He nodded. "But it was different the other day," He said.

"Oh," I could just say that and looked behind to see if anyone was watching us. Thankfully, no one was bothered about me or us.

I looked back at the boy looking at me in confusion and questions. I nodded. "I made that one and it was just to experiment," I murmured.

He frowned and adjusted in his seat while looking up at me. "Experiment?" He asked.

I nodded. "This is our classic filter coffee. I am sure you'll enjoy this much as well," I said while cursing myself under my breath. I don't want to snatch their customers. I feel bad now.

He sighed and nodded. "This is definitely good but that was different. I liked the taste better," He said. A smile formed on my lips involuntarily.

"You did?" I asked. He nodded. "Of course," He said.

"Thanks," I said. He smiled back at me and looked past me once before looking at me again.

"But yeah, no worries. Thanks for the coffee," He said. I just nodded.

I had an urge to ask him if he could be my first customer but I can't. That's against the rules and that's against my ethics. I can't do that ever even when I'm going out of business.

I just smiled again and walked my way back to the counter while feeling happy all of sudden. I felt some sort of confidence generating inside of me again. I can do this.

I let out a deep breath and looked at the customer as my eyebrows furrowed. "How can I help you?" I asked again with confusion.

He smiled further. "Can I get one from the other day's coffee?" He asked. I widened my eyes and looked aside at the owner who was out by now.

He seemed to have heard the conversation. Yet he smiled and gave me a nod. I sighed deeply and looked at the boy.

"Sure," I said and he forwarded the note towards me. "It's on the house," The owner spoke with a wide smile.

"I am proud to call you my student," He said. I smiled genuinely while feeling so many emotions. "Thank you. I just wanted to..." I thought of giving an explanation but he rubbed it off.

"Don't be. I am happy to see you getting towards your dream finally. We are throwing a party since it's your last day here. Don't be late," He said with the same smile. I could see that happiness and pride in his eyes. It was for me. I was grateful for everything he has done for me till now.

He was kind enough to have let me use his kitchen every single day. He knew I will leave one day yet he supported me. I made a mental note to myself to be there for him and this cafe always, no matter what lays in between.

I looked back at the boy. "You're starting your own cafe?" He asked. I nodded. "Apparently," I said with nervousness.

He chuckled. "You will do good," He said while giving me a genuine smile. I could just curl my lips again.

"Is it far?" He asked further. I haven't had this long conversation with strangers before so I was slightly awkward but he looked just fine. Of course!

"Yes," I said and added as soon before he could question me again, "It's a little out... I mean Perambra."

I gave an awkward smile again as he kept nodding as if he was getting his thoughts together. "You don't know where it is. Do you?" I asked while not being able to contain myself. He looked at me for a few moments and chuckled while scratching his neck.

"I am from Mumbai and got transferred here for company work a couple of weeks back," He said. I nodded with a smile.

"I thought so," I said. "Where is your company?" I asked again.

"It's around here somewhere," He said innocently. I pressed my lips to contain my smile and nodded.

"How much time does it take you to get here?" I asked again.

"Umm... The bus leaves me here. I travel for an hour or something," He said. I chuckled finally again.

"Okay, so you go that far?" I asked. He nodded. "One of my relatives owns a flat here. I rent it," He said further.

I nodded in understanding. Why would his relative from Mumbai rent a flat here? I didn't ask though.

"It might be falling somewhere between," I said and walked back to prepare his coffee. He settled on a counter chair nearby.

"You are native?" He asked as if I was his colleague and it was fine to ask. Mumbai boys, I suppose!

I sighed and looked back at him. "Hmm..." I answered just that much. I guess he got what I was trying to tell and pressed a smile before looking away awkwardly.

He didn't speak anything again and I didn't try to start any conversation as well. It was fine that way I guess.

I put his coffee in front of him and he gave a thankful smile. I smiled back but still, no one spoke anything. I went to serve others as soon.

This was my final day here and I wanted to live it as much as I could. My eyes went to the same chair again that was empty now.

Did he leave?

My eyes scanned the place. Yes, he was nowhere. I sighed and walked back to take his cup.

My eyes fell on a small note kept beside it and a wide smile formed on my face. It was simple.

Congratulations on the new beginnings. I will tell you where my company is exactly the next time we meet.

P.S. you make amazing coffee, just know that. :)

☕☕☕☕