chapter 10

I put the 5th pastry in front of Madhavi. She made a face and shook her before speaking further, "Those are delicious but I can't eat anymore, Sachi."

I sighed and got seated in front of her. "That's why I wanted him to be here," I murmured in annoyance. She raised her eyebrows and rested back on the chair.

"Who? Aarush?" She asked. I sighed and nodded silently while laughing internally at my hopelessness.

She stayed silent for a few moments before starting again, "Why is that? Are you two..." She started but stopped while looking at me with unsurety.

I shook my head slightly. "He is nothing more than a friend," I said in a low voice. She sighed and nodded a little.

"Right," She said and stopped. "Two humans can be friends despite being of opposite genders," I said again with a frown.

She chuckled lightly and nodded again. "For sure, but you can't lie to yourself. I mean I haven't seen you this way with anyone. Forget boys, but you didn't even talk freely with girls while being in that shell of yours," She said further.

I kept looking down at my fingers while not understanding how to fight over that. She was right. I haven't gotten this close with anyone but Madhavi and I had to hear lectures about it from Amma, Ma and Appa always.

"And here he is different than you in every way. He comes from a different state, a different city, a different culture than yours. He doesn't understand your language and you don't know his. Yet you are getting along too well with him. There must be something connecting you two more than coffee," She asked again.

"If you say it's just because he adores the magic you do in your cafe then it's not the only thing. I mean many share his taste. Why he is the only one?" She continued.

"It might be his friendly nature that attracted you to him. He might be doing it just for the friendship or maybe because he genuinely feels you should reach somewhere," She said further and added again.

"He might not feel the same way as you. Did you ask if he has a girlfriend?" She asked.

I shook my head negatively. That thought never crossed my mind. I never had any boyfriend and considered him to be the same as well. How stupid of me!

"Think about it. He is from Mumbai, he is young, vibrant, has a good job, he seems to belong from a decent family, he is good looking, charming," she said and added ahead, "He is sure to have a wide network of friends. Who knows he might have a girlfriend back in Mumbai?"

"I am not saying you should doubt him and that there are no chances that he shares what you feel. But I just want to advise you before you go ahead and end up being broken." She looked at me with concern after finishing.

"That's right," I said in a low voice and nodded before speaking again, "I don't know what it is."

She moved her hand and kept on mine. "Sachi, I am not saying you shouldn't feel this way about him but let him know before you go ahead."

My head shot up as I looked at her while being terrified. "If you don't want to be direct then at least know about how he feels and what he thinks," she said again.

"I can't ask him," I said with fear and nervousness. She nodded in understanding.

"Then ask him about his friends and stuff. You will know if he has anyone special in his life," She spoke again. I sighed and stayed the same as many thoughts grabbed my restless mind.

I know she is being my overprotective friend like she has always been. I know she is just saying it out of worry but I got anxious while thinking about that possibility.