chapter 9

I packed the cake neatly and made sure it won't get ruined but now it's up to him. The rush in the cafe was normal. It wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty like before too. I was happy but it wasn't enough.

My eyes moved to the clock hung on the wall which showed the time 5.45 in the evening. "He must come anytime," I murmured and looked at the box before sighing deeply.

"Come back soon. I don't know why am I getting nervous all of sudden. It's like I am alone all over again and that thought is scaring me," I murmured as I moved my hand gently over the box.

Why am I thinking this way? I have always fought alone with Amma and Ma's support and it will be the same again then why am I thinking this way?

"God, it's so complicated," I said and groaned. "What's so complicated?" I looked up at Madhavi who took her seat on the counter chair.

I rolled my eyes. "Why are you here? I thought you are too busy?" I asked while fuming at her for not meeting me often nowadays.

Ever since her marriage, she has distanced herself from me because of her added responsibilities. I can't blame her but I am still furious. It's like her husband and his family is everything to her now.

She chuckled lightly and nodded. "I am sorry. You know how it is. I am yet to get used to this new lifestyle. I am not single anymore and definitely can't act like before," She said.

I sighed and started preparing her Cappuccino. "Find someone for yourself and get settled too. Amma keeps complaining about how you have sacrificed yourself to the responsibilities," She said.

I chuckled lightly and nodded. "Those two are old now. They have sacrificed their comforts to make me who I am today. I can do this much for them. I want to offer them a comforting life rather than getting married and get away from them," I said.

She smiled lightly as she added again, "I know that well. I am happy to see you completing your and your Appa's dream." I smiled a little.

"There is still a way to go," I said and looked around the people. She followed my gaze before looking at me again. "It's fine for start I suppose," she said.

I nodded and put a cup before her. She smiled further while looking down at it. "I missed this smell, Sachi," She said and I gave her a genuine smile.

"What are you doing next week?" I asked while hoping to spend time with her and get normal again. I feel I am moving way too fast and getting confused with my emotions.

She shrugged. "Nothing much. Regular stuff. Why do you ask?" She asked again.

"I want you to help me in the kitchen," I said and added, "I am deciding to put a stall at a cultural fest at one company."

She seemed excited about it. "That's great. I'm up for it. Tell me when and I'll be here," she said further. I smiled while feeling a bit better yet I needed someone to calm me and put the confidence like how he does.

My eyes moved to the clock again and I frowned. It was around 6.30. What is taking so long? Didn't he say he was leaving at night? Did he change the plans?

"Are you waiting for someone?" Madhavi asked again. It took me off-guard. I looked at her and shook my head from side to side. "No."

She seemed to have taken her cue as a smirk formed on her lips. "Tell me about him."

I scoffed and shook my head further. "He is just a friend I met him some weeks back. He ordered a cake to take it to his family and was going to stop by to pick it up," I said in defence.

She laughed while throwing her head back and shook her head slightly. "I didn't ask for that much information but thanks for filling me up," she said and I frowned.

"You and your useless mind. Seems like you aren't yet over with your marriage," I murmured and she laughed again.

"Yes, I want you to suffer as well," She said and winked at me. I rolled my eyes and looked past her to see him enter. He smiled before pushing the door and walked towards me.

"Sorry, I got late. I am leaving for two weeks straight so had to take care of loads of stuff," He said and I widened my eyes.

"Two weeks?" I asked and that came off loudly. I looked at Madhavi whose lips held a teasing smirk as she showed herself busy while drinking her coffee.

I moved my gaze to him again to meet his confusing gaze. "I mean, you said a week so I was asking that..." I said and trailed off as I didn't understand what to speak further.

He nodded. "Yeah, well, a cousin of mine is getting married so have to attend that as well," he said. I shook my head up and down.

"This is Madhavi," I said. He gave her a smile of recognition.

"I have heard about you," He said. Madhavi put on an impressive look while making me embarrassed. "I haven't heard of you at all," she said.

"Really? That makes me feel hurt," he said and looked at me. I rolled my eyes and looked away. I felt hopeless and helpless.

I wanted Madhavi to go away before she does anything else but I can't do that too.

Madhavi chuckled and asked him to take a seat as well. "This is Aarush," I said to which she smiled knowingly at me.

I looked away again. She chuckled and moved her head back to him. "So what do you do?" She asked.

"I am a tester at Infotech," He said and she made an impressive face. "Great. So you are in IT," she asked. He nodded.

"I am an accountant," she said. He nodded with a smile. "So you met her at..." she asked.

"At her previous workplace. I loved the coffee and got to know that she was starting here so thought of visiting. Then we got to know that we were neighbours as well," he said. She nodded and gave me a brief look before looking back at him.

"Okayyy..." She said with a teasing smile.

"I thought you were just a customer," she said. I sighed and shook my head in disappointment.

He shrugged. "I thought we were friends," he asked while looking at me again with a hurtful face.

I sighed and looked around. "I have work. I'll get going. Your cake is here. Handle it carefully," I said as I started rushing inside.

I heard a laughed and increased my speed. "At least tell me how much it costs?" He shouted.

"400," I shouted from a distance. "Your rates are pretty low. You should revise it once the cafe sets," he said and added, "I have a card."

"Transfer it online," I said while refusing to go back. "Alright. I'll get going as I need to pack," He said and my heart got anxious.

I walked back as soon before he could go out. "Aarush," I called. He gave me a questioning look. "I'll get your coffee. Wait for 5 minutes," I said.

He smiled and nodded before taking his seat again as I rushed back to get his coffee ready while hiding from Madhavi's teasing gaze.

I knew I have to face a lot of questions once he is out of sight and I am not worried to answer them for her but what worries me is those two weeks that lay ahead.

I don't understand this nervousness yet but I hope I get past them quickly.

☕☕☕☕